Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Reset Teensy to "As New" condition?

Reset Teensy to "As New" condition?

First off, forgive my lack of technical knowledge. I am not a builder or programmer, I just use the Teensy as part of a DIY USB adapter to connect a PC to a PlayStation3.

Recently, the developers updated the PS3 emulation software and the firmware for the Teensy. Up to that point, everything was running fine. After the update, I get no output from the Teensy. I have tested this using jstest-gtk. I have tested all cabling and it is good.

I have tried several times to reinstall the firmware using the Teensy Loader, but it still refuses to work.

I have a hard time believing that the Teensy went bad at the same time the software/firmware update occurred, but there are several other users that have the same configuration that are not having the problem so the developers are suggesting that the problem lies in the Teensy somewhere.

I have followed the instructions on the Troubleshooting page under the "Teensy Not Recognized by Teensy Loader" heading to reload the firmware with no success.

Is there a way to completely erase all programming from the Teensy to reset it to "As New" condition? Or possibly a way to test the board for proper operation? Or even a way to make the LED blink again just so I know it really is alive?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Assuming as you reinstalled the firmware, were you able to reinstall the prior version of firmware for the Teensy? (You said the developers updated the firmware).
    You noted that the developers updated the firmware --- does this literally mean they came an did so? Of course, you'd get on them to come again!! Or did they provide this to you via the Internet?

To revert a Teensy's firmware to known good, you'd need to download to the Teensy a demo blinking LED program's .hex file (pre-compiled for your Teensy 2? 3.0? 3.1?).
    I suggested the pre-compiled as you said you aren't technical.

Quote Originally Posted by stevech View Post
    Assuming as you reinstalled the firmware, were you able to reinstall the prior version of firmware for the Teensy? (You said the developers updated the firmware).
    You noted that the developers updated the firmware --- does this literally mean they came an did so? Of course, you'd get on them to come again!! Or did they provide this to you via the Internet?

To revert a Teensy's firmware to known good, you'd need to download to the Teensy a demo blinking LED program's .hex file (pre-compiled for your Teensy 2? 3.0? 3.1?).
    I suggested the pre-compiled as you said you aren't technical.
    1) Previous version of the firmware will not work with the updated software. I am trying to get them to tell me if/how I can revert to previous version of software & firmware for testing purposes.

2) Update was done via download, no techs on site. If techs had been onsite, I would have made sure all was working before they left.

3) Teensy is a version 2. Are there instructions for downloading/installing/running the LED Blink program?

UPDATE: I found the Blink .hex file and reloaded it. Got blinking LED. Reloaded firmware for application. All seems well since I get indication of commands on hardwired loop-back test. It still doesn't work, but I do not think it is a Teensy problem at this point.

Thanks for your quick response and assistance.
    Last edited by Spaznetz; 06-06-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: UPDATE