A model web site to consider for Teensy's upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevech

A model web site to consider for Teensy's upgrade

Particle.io web site is among the best I've seen in the embedded/microprocessor world. Very easy to use. Carefully organized. Makes a huge difference in finding what you want.

Their compiler (GCC?) for the STM32 M3 is on-line, like mbed's was. That's good for configuration management, maybe bad for advanced users... BUT, their JTAG/SWD adapter board would enable one to use a local build too chain as an option and do interactive debugging via JTAG/SWD and OCD, with visual GDB (almost free) or IAR or Keil, or some Eclipse or OSX tool set.
I was an early adopter of mbed/NXP. That IDE (a web front-end to Keil's IDE) was too ambitious and I didn't like it).

Teensy could aim for something this exemplary web site, and even their on-line IDE for some kinds of users. Whoever is doing Particle.io's web site design is exceptional.

Last edited:
I agree Particle has an excellent website. I think they were smart about choosing separate tools to build each section instead of trying to use Wordpress (or something similar) and trying to fit all the content into one platform.

Particle Docs started using Flatdoc but they've made a lot of modifications. I chose Flatdoc (without a lot of modifications) for SmartMatrix Docs, and find it really easy to update (content is written with MarkDown and pushing a .md file to GitHub is all you need to change to update a page). The site is responsive and looks great on mobile. Free hosting at GitHub Pages. There are a few Flatdoc bugs I haven't tracked down and my site isn't styled nearly as well as Particle's but I'm happy with my choice and think it could be good for Teensy as well.

A lot of Particle's site design is on GitHub so you can look under the hood. I believe they're using a lot of static webpages instead of a CMS.

For IDEs, they have the on-line compiler - great for probably 80% of users. And the cloud-based remote reporting/control of their boards.
and there are tutorial docs and videos on how to put together autonomous (local PC) tools based on javabeans, Eclipse, and others. One can also use IAR/Keil. I suppose too that one can use visualGDB.
These all use the GCC ARM tools.

Collectively, this is a huge leap forward in the state of the art in open systems - for non-engineers to enjoy fiddling with embedded and IOT gear.
A good example for others. Kind of what mbed was striving for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back