Teensyduino 1.24 Beta #2 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a first beta test for Teensyduino 1.24:

EDIT: links removed. Please use 1.24-beta3.

Due to a small mix-up on my part, this is "beta2", even though beta1 was never released.

The main change in support for Arduino 1.6.5.

Please give this a try and report any bugs. Try to include a sample program that reproduces the problem!

Paul: Does IDE 1.6.5 bring any worthwhile changes - other than fixing the 1.6.4 compile hang? Have you scoped any other 1.6.5 core problems (i.e. did your other IDE fixes merge well and not create more problems elsewhere) that would suggest it won't be the best version yet to install since 1.6.3?

I've tried three times now and the OSX installer won't let me use 1.6.5

Does the "?" window offer any information?

I tested here with 1.6.5. Admittedly my dev machine is OSX 10.7. I didn't test any newer macs.

Paul: Does IDE 1.6.5 bring any worthwhile changes - other than fixing the 1.6.4 compile hang? Have you scoped any other 1.6.5 core problems (i.e. did your other IDE fixes merge well and not create more problems elsewhere) that would suggest it won't be the best version yet to install since 1.6.3?

Answers in order: some improvements like code folding; seems fine; I fixed many merge issues; not a big deal if you're happy with 1.6.3.

This is what "?" says

Directory: /Users/duff/Downloads/Arduino-2.app/
Checking Arduino 1.0.6:
dir: "Contents/MacOS" present
file: "Contents/Info.plist" present
file: "Contents/PkgInfo" present
dir: "Contents/Resources/Java" missing
Does not match Arduino 1.0.6
Checking Arduino 1.6.1-j7:
file: "Contents/MacOS/Arduino" present
file: "Contents/PkgInfo" present
file: "Contents/Java/lib/keywords.txt" present
file: "Contents/Java/jssc-2.8.0.jar" present
file: "Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/boards.txt" present
file: "Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/platform.txt" present
dir: "Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino" present
dir: "Contents/Java/hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1" missing
Does not match Arduino 1.6.1-j7
Checking Arduino 1.6.1:
file: "Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub" missing
Does not match Arduino 1.6.1
Checking Arduino 1.6.3:
file: "Contents/Java/lib/version.txt" present
java: "Contents/Java/pde.jar" object: "processing/app/Base.class" wrong size, unsupported Arduino version
Does not match Arduino 1.6.3
Checking Arduino 1.6.4:
file: "Contents/Java/lib/version.txt" present
java: "Contents/Java/pde.jar" object: "processing/app/Base.class" wrong size, unsupported Arduino version
Does not match Arduino 1.6.4

and here is the pic of the first screen:
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 7.11.57 PM.png

OSX 10.9.5

Last edited:
Opps, that's my fault. The links were wrong. I've edited the original post.

Please download and try again.

I see my Snooze library is older version, the current github version (5.4) includes many fixes and probably should replace this one in the next beta, thanks.

Installed "Teensy Loader 1.24-beta2" on 1.6.3 on Win7x64_Pro - No Issues. Compiled my last simple thing and Serial Monitor working right across builds.

Thx Paul
Answers in order: some improvements like code folding; seems fine; I fixed many merge issues; not a big deal if you're happy with 1.6.3.

I have a 1.6.4 machine on Win8 I'll take up to 1.6.5 with 1.24 ... soon ... <edit> Download of IDE restarted and now done . . .

Last edited:
I see my Snooze library is older version... probably should replace this one in the next beta, thanks.

Updated here. It'll be in the next release.

Installed "Teensy Loader 1.24-beta2" on 1.6.3 on Win7x64_Pro - No Issues.

Except some libraries and minor fixes in the core library, little changed on 1.6.4 and earlier.

1.6.5 should have the same functionality as 1.6.3 & 1.6.4, but I did have to restructure the serial monitor stuff pretty substantially. If I broke anything, it'll likely be corner cases in the serial monitor, like how it detects you've unplugged the USB cable and disables the serial monitor automatically (releasing the COM port) and reconnects when you plug back in. There are a lot of corner cases, like where you originally opened the serial monitor with a non-serial USB type, then changed Tools > USB Type to Serial while the window was still open (and holding info it was given before the change).

On Windows, that damn New Hardware Wizard also adds trouble the first time you use a new USB type on a new Teensy. So far, I've never found a way to prevent that, or even detect when it's in progress so I can do things like show a dialog with info.

Leaving T3.1 powered, I plugged an LC and moved SerialMon okay, then back to T3.1 and okay, button reprogrammed T3.1. Then moved SerMon & Verified to LC and programmed with Button seeing Serial. No mainline obvious problems on Win7 watching SerMon. [DoH! - this is 1.6.3 - I'll repeat the same on 1.6.5 when I get there]

<IDE FEATURE>: would be cool if the Serial Monitor button offered right click, or other drop down, to directly pick available devices.

Will post back tonight if Win 8.1 >> IDE 1.6.5 >> 1.24-beta2 has any issues on install or first use.

Note: The LC can't keep up 300 elapsedMicros timing in a bare loop - probably cascading because each fail causes extra short debug spew that was missing&fine on T3.1, and the added USB output then causes more misses on the elapsedMicros, see recursion.
After the LC upload JAVA was stealing 34% of my i5 laptop CPU making the fan race? I closed SerMon on the 1.6.3_IDE and it stopped - debug spew was too much on this older laptop Intel_i5, Win8.1 desktop is an 3yr newer OC i5.

I might do the serial monitor port list at some point. This change for 1.6.5 puts all my serial monitor stuff into its own file, derived from 1.6.x's "AbstractMonitor" class. The main motivation was to separate my many hacks from code they're actively changing, to (hopefully) lessen merge conflicts in the future. But it should also make more substantial edits like that easier.

Please post this on the suggestions forum as a new thread. Otherwise, it'll just be forgotten.

But I can't do much about Java's inefficiency. I put a *lot* of work into improving the serial monitor several months ago. It used to completely crash the Java virtual machine, but from excessive CPU usage and memory leaking. It's as fast and efficient as I can make it in Java (at least within my Java skills).

I might do the serial monitor port list at some point. ...
Please post this on the suggestions forum as a new thread. Otherwise, it'll just be forgotten.

Done: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/2892...direct-way-to-pick-USB-port?p=75694#post75694

BTW: No problems yet:: Win 8.1 >> IDE 1.6.5 >> 1.24-beta2
So far just single sketch both 'Compiled' and Buttoned over to a running T3.1

Java's inefficiency :: I was surprised when my laptop fan started roaring and was already typing - when I realized USB SPEW was behind that - and decided to just edit my text rather than lose it all. 300 micros is fast - not surprising the LC falls behind - especially with USB output compounding it. It does make it clear how fast the 3.1 is it was making almost three loops per microSec - will have to revisit, beyond the USB Spew, and see what the LC was doing.

WOW - my little test loop runs over 10 times faster on 96MHz T3.1 was near 850 and under 80 on the 48MHz LC - that explains in part of what led to unexpected streaming SPEW!

I wrote a simple sample and posted this bug: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/28932-LC-is-10-9-times-slower-than-T3-1

Last edited:
With IDE 1.6.5 >> 1.24-beta2, WIN7/64 I still have compiling 'freezes' that are not present in IDE 1.6.3. It's happen when there's an error (I'm still investigate witch error cause freeze) and IDE freeze during compile. On IDE 1.6.3 the error get exposed.
It looks that Arduino team still not fixed those annoing 'freezes'?

They released 1.6.5r2 today, which of course the teensyduino installer catches a CRC mismatch and refuses to install.

At the same time, they do not provide links to 1.6.5 from 2 days ago anymore.....

Only change is a fix for opening .ino files apparently

Oh, not nice!

I'm downloading the source now... will have an update soon.

Edit: looks like they also, yet again, changed the JDK version used to build it.

Last edited:
Edit: looks like they also, yet again, changed the JDK version used to build it.

It's starting to look like they don't really pay attention to it. It feels like the version used is the one the developer building the packages uses on his machine, without much care given to the build environment, because the versions swing back and forth without any kind of logic.

If I'm wrong and there is some logic behind it, I'd love to know about it.

I've got the patches merged and a build for 1.6.5r2... but it looks like some cases in the serial monitor aren't working correctly on Windows. I'm going to delay 1.24-beta3 until tomorrow, so I can look into those and (hopefully) get the Windows version working like Linux and Mac.

If only Windows and only SerMon - you could get runtime on the rest of the build if you posted it. I'm using TyQt anyhow for multi Teensy. Besides - the longer you wait the sooner the next build will pop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back