wiz820io max speed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in w5100.h you could reduce the MAX sockets from 4 to 2, that might/should double the receive buffers, which might smooth out bursty packet arrivals.

you could also increase the SPI speed from 12 to 24 mhz (w5100.h w5100.cpp).

Hey manitou,

increasing the SPI speed doesn't have any effect.
When I try to change the MAC sockets I get compiling errors.

/
Applications/Arduino_1.6.5.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/Ethernet/w5100.cpp:37:40: error: conflicting declaration 'uint16_t W5100Class::SBASE [2]'
uint16_t W5100Class::SBASE[MAX_SOCK_NUM];
^
In file included from /Applications/Arduino_1.6.5.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/Ethernet/w5100.cpp:34:0:
/Applications/Arduino_1.6.5.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/Ethernet/w5100.h:264:19: error: 'W5100Class::SBASE' has a previous declaration as 'uint16_t W5100Class::SBASE [4]'
static uint16_t SBASE[SOCKETS]; // Tx buffer base address
^
/Applications/Arduino_1.6.5.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/Ethernet/w5100.cpp:37:40: error: declaration of 'uint16_t W5100Class::SBASE [4]' outside of class is not definition [-fpermissive]
uint16_t W5100Class::SBASE[MAX_SOCK_NUM];
^
/Applications/Arduino_1.6.5.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/Ethernet/w5100.cpp:38:40: error: conflicting declaration 'uint16_t W5100Class::RBASE [2]'
uint16_t W5100Class::RBASE[MAX_SOCK_NUM];
^
In file included from /Applications/Arduino_1.6.5.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/Ethernet/w5100.cpp:34:0:
/Applications/Arduino_1.6.5.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/Ethernet/w5100.h:265:19: error: 'W5100Class::RBASE' has a previous declaration as 'uint16_t W5100Class::RBASE [4]'
static uint16_t RBASE[SOCKETS]; // Rx buffer base address
^
/Applications/Arduino_1.6.5.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/Ethernet/w5100.cpp:38:40: error: declaration of 'uint16_t W5100Class::RBASE [4]' outside of class is not definition [-fpermissive]
uint16_t W5100Class::RBASE[MAX_SOCK_NUM];

Do you know what I do wrong?

increasing the SPI speed doesn't have any effect.
When I try to change the MAC sockets I get compiling errors.

hey birk.
i'm working on this project https://github.com/vertigo-dk/BlackLED
and have managed to take 18 art-net universes and out put them to a ws2811 like led using octoWS at about 44 fps.
It is quite stable, we had a week long real life test
27898292350_35b103a562_b.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/obscuranet/27898292350/in/album-72157670800701645/
to managed this we had to overclock the teensy to 120MHz and limit the wiz820i to 1 socket using the full 16K rx memory.
The Socket part you can get here https://github.com/alex-Arc/Ethernet/tree/1-socket have only implemented it for the W5200 chip but you should be able to do something like it. ;)

Last edited:
Hey alex,

thanks so much.
That sounds like exactly the answer i was looking for.
I'll check you code later!

Your projects looks very nice.
Do you have a video as well?

I'm just back from the festival I used the tensy controllers the first time. It worked quite well on 10MBit with just 25fps.
https://vimeo.com/174121936

Cheers,
Birk.

Wow, that looks awesome!

Impressive Wiznet hacking too.

Projects like this should become much easier when we have the K66 and an ethernet shield that supports the full 100 Mbit/sec speed.

yes i'am really looking forward to the new k66, Paul do you have a specific ethernet shield in mind?

very cool Birk :)
here is a link to some rough cut video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39007543/anna_clip-2_1.mp4

backtracking to the original question.

I was wondering if there were optimizations beyond the 24mhz setting for the wiz820io that could be done to achieve better performance ?

There looked to be a small improvement by upping it to 30 mHz, but it was not tested thoroughly.

530-byte packets at 44 per second is less than a 1 mbs, BUT if (1) the packets come in bursts then the peak rate might exceed the buffer space on the wiznet chip and you would experience dropped packets

this was the exact problem i ran in to. i can't say it will be the same for all art-net software, but it makes sense from a fame sync perspective.

Last edited:
yes i'am really looking forward to the new k66, Paul do you have a specific ethernet shield in mind?

Yes, an ethernet shield has already been designed for the K66 board. More details should become available in a few weeks. Subscribe to the announcement forum or follow my twitter acct if you want to get a notification.

Hello All, I am having issues trying to get any of the Artnet Examples to acknowledge they are receiving any Artnet.

Currently trying with ArtnetReceive Example code from Artnet Examples Directory.

I have confirmed the hardware works in terms of it being able to connect to a web server (Using code from another project), however when attempting to listen to Artnet, nothing happens.
I am using a Teensy 3.2 with the WIZ820io & Micro SD Card Adaptor. Running at 96Mz. I have tried to use both Arduino 1.6.5 and 1.6.12 with teensyduino 1.31Beta.

Could anybody confirm if they are able to get the example code working / not working?

Thanks

I've been using the library on several projects without issues, the most common errors are bad network settings. What software are you using to send and what are you network settings ?

Hi nlecaude,

I am attempting to use MagicQ Software from Chamsys.
My network settings are: Subnet: 255.0.0.0, IP of control computer 2.0.0.1, IP of Teensy 2.0.0.20.

I have just plugged in an Artnet Node in place of the teensy and can confirm, the computer is outputting Artnet.

Not sure if this is related but Arduino's Ethernet library will set the gateway to 2.0.0.1 by default, perhaps try changing the ip of you computer to 2.0.0.2.

Still, nothing,

I did just realise, I omitted the fact I was using a Mac (Yosemite 10.10.5).
Could it be related?

Woohoo. Something has fixed it.

I presume it was the new Library.. (I changed this first).
It still did not seem to work.
I then installed Vezer, - this worked.
I then tried MagicQ again. This works now too.

Thank you very much for your help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back