Teensy Gamepad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super

Hello all,

I'm completely new to this, but I have a specific project in mind! I'd like to build a usb gamepad with 10 buttons, a directional pad, and two analog sticks. I'm planning on using the psp analog stick because it's small and this gamepad will mostly be for retro gaming.

Here's a link to the joystick http://www.amazon.com/PSP-1000-Joystick-Analog-Assembly-Replacement/dp/B00170JDZU

My big problem is with the buttons--is there some sort of matrix or keyboard processor that I can use to get 10 buttons and a d pad working on the teensy? I was thinking of using an old ps /2 type keyboard and rewiring the keys, but they all have such big circuits!

I'd appreciate any help I can get!

Paul, do you have any example on how to use the Keypad library with joystick outputs ? I'm trying to implement that in another project but even though I know how to send button signals with digitalRead and implement a basic keypad, I am puzzled as to how to send button signals from a keypad.

PS/2 is certainly one way to go - I used it for my project, although I had to hack it to get key-release working, and now I'm thinking of dumping it completely because if I click too fast I can cause problems - it might be my mods, it might be the PS/2 library, it might be the audio library adversely affecting the timing of the PS/2 library, it could be many things - I don't know at this point. I used a minipac but hacking a keyboard is much more grass roots approach =D

BUT

10 buttons plus D-pad plus clicking down button on analogue sticks (if present) = 16 digital IO max

4 analogue inputs for the 4 axes of the joysticks.

Even A Teensy-LC has enough pins/performance to achieve your goal, wiring each device terminal to it's own pin.

This is by far the most robust solution in my humblest of opinions, and you could potentially use a laser printer (and photo paper) to etch your own PCB very cheaply to a pretty high quality, cut it to shape and size and make yourself an enclosure.

That's what I would do if I was building one.

just another idea.

Thanks so much! I didn't realize I could use pushbuttons on the digital pins--this makes the project much more approachable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back