Efficient CHANGE interupts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaite12

Hi Folks

At the moment when I receive a pin CHANGE interrupt, I'm doing a digitalRead() to determine the state of the pin HIGH or LOW. Is there a more efficient way to do this (i.e. avoid doing the digitalRead every time an interrupt is triggered)?

With the ATmega328 I used to mask the register (e.g. PIND) directly and this was efficient. Is there a similar solution with Teensy 3.1?

Thanks

you can set the interrupt condition to RISING or FALLING (edge). Then you'll know what caused the interrupt. There's probably a choice like "EITHER" too.
Reading the bit as you are doing works only if the bit doesn't change again before the ISR runs and reads the bit.

I tried this but it seems it's only possible to attach an interrupt routine for one or the other (e.g. FALLING or RISING), but not both. Perhaps I'm making a mistake.

What are you doing that needs to be perhaps a few hundred nanoseconds faster than digitalRead()?
You can use digitalReadFast().

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm just trying to ensure the code is as efficient as possible. Can you explain how digitalReadFast() differs from digitalRead() ?

I believe that, provided the pin number is a constant, digitalReadFast(N) will compile to a single assembler instruction.

Pete

I believe that, provided the pin number is a constant, digitalReadFast(N) will compile to a single assembler instruction.

Yes, or at least the minimum possible number of instructions.

Unlike AVR which has dedicated I/O instructions, ARM has only general purpose load and store instructions. The I/O registers have atomic set and clear registers, which digitalWriteFast() uses, so only a single store instruction is generated. But at least 2 other instructions are needed, to initialize one register with the address and another with the data. Then the store instruction happens, using those 2 values. Neither can get encoded directly into the instruction, as is done on AVR for the first few 8 bit ports.

Depending on your surrounding code, often the compiler will move those other 2 initialization instructions outside of loops, so it can reuse the values if you're doing more than 1 digitalWriteFast(). But if you're calling other functions or doing a lot of math that requires keeping many local variables or temporary results, or even similar expressions used multiple times, the compiler might decide those registers are better allocated to speed up your other code. Then it would put the initialization near the store instruction.

DigitalReadFast does the same, with a single load instruction. It returns 0 or 1, but since it's inline, if your surrounding code only checks boolean true vs false, the compiler will optimize away the conversion from the bitmask to specific numerical values 0 or 1.

Doesn't the K20 have an interrupt cause-choice of "EITHER" for edge detection?

Yes, the pin interrupt hardware supports rising, falling, or both edges, as well as both low and high level sensitive. Details are in section 11.14.1 of the reference manual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back