Arduino 1.6.3 & Teensduino 1.2.3 = too many files generated during compilation

I measured as well using the Arduino Eclipse IDE with a rather big sketch that compiles to over 60k and imports 9 libraries.
12sec first time 2 sec for consecutive compiles.

Well, I don't know guys how it works for you in 3seconds
Definitely not the computer or the Win is the problem but the IDE

Vasile, everyone else reports much faster performance with the same software running on different hardware, yet you still you complain software is the problem and your computer's hardware is not at fault!

Just measured it:

First compile empty sketch: 12 sec, after that less than 1 sec.

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
System : i5 3570K @ 3.4 GHz, Win 7 Ultimate, 8 GB

and ...let me add another 30 years :)

Finally this seems a correct measurement!

Mine: SSD the same (EVO250GB)
Windows7 Home Premium
System I7-2720QM, 2200MHz, 8GB RAM

My first compilation is 8-9 seconds, the second is around 1 second.
If I do the same on 3GHz/2GB/WIN XP single core machine, the first compilation will take more than 20s.

Now, a sketch (with reasonable code lenght) compilation will take about 20s on the I7 system and more than 50s on 3GHz/2GB RAM/WIN XP

Paul, how much takes your compilations (the blank sketch) under the gcc avr?

I will complain until the Arduino IDE creators will understand the crap they did... :)

Last edited:
My compiles take longer, but I attribute that to xCode, not the Teensy or Arduino IDE.

Last edited:
You told us in post #5 a much longer time for a blank sketch ?
Anyway, how often do you execute this first compile ?
Once a day ? 2, 3 ? 10?

For deleteing the tempfolder i use a batch which executes a boot..
I did not try this, but may be moving the tempfolder to ramdisk could help ?

Last edited:
I will complain until the Arduino IDE creators will understand the crap they did... :)

I'd really hope you would not!

I am not a particular friend of the Arduino IDE but it's simplicity was very helpful when I got backing electronics 4 years ago after a 20 year hiatus. That simplicity also helps a lot of folks that don't have an engineering background so all in all for what it does, the Arduino IDE is a wonderful thing for many many people.

Also, I'd like to remind you that the Arduino IDE is a product of an enormous amount of volunteer work. A good number of People have contributed an enormous amount of their spare time to create a tool. Many more people have created a wealth of libraries that talk to a large number of different devices. A little gratitude goes a long way. What have you contributed so far ?

Then there is a host of alternative IDEs available that use the underpinnings of the Arduino framework but provide you with the experience of a full featured IDE:
Visual Studio with the Visual Micro Plugin (Windows only)
Arduino Eclipse IDE (Windows, Mac, Linux)
embedXcode (Mac only)

If you have problems with a library, this is a DIY, open source world. Most of the stuff ins on GitHub. Fix the code, create a pull request. Thats another way of contributing to the greater good.

You told us in post #5 a much longer time for a blank sketch ?
Anyway, how often do you execute this first compile ?
Once a day ? 2, 3 ?

Since my laptop is slow I can point out any LC to 3.1 swap, or any compiling changes to speed or compile type causes a full rebuild. I just cloned in a new hdd that should show improvement, since the clone claimed it saw fail and took way too long, though initial tests seem okay.

@vsurducan: If you wouldn't mind; what experiences are you comparing this stuff to? That is, which programming platforms have you used, with which targets, in the past to give you such great insight into how the compiler *should* work?

Back