Eclipse Luna-SR2, Arduino 1.6.5r2, Teensyduino 1v24

Status
Not open for further replies.

bboyes

So I have several projects going which are becoming painful to edit in Arduino IDE; Notepad++ is better but windows-only, and I would like to use Eclipse IDE on Windows and Linux. Also I need to write some Python code and I'd like to do all this in one IDE if possible. I used Eclipse a lot a couple of years ago when writing Java code so I hope it comes back to me quickly. The point of this post is to ask if anyone else is using Eclipse with Teensy 2 and 3?

I found this page about using AVR Eclipse plugin and (after too much fussing) have got Eclipse to build and upload to a Uno board. I still don't have the 'Target Explorer View' Serial Terminal displaying data from Uno but also now Putty won't either. I found it necessary to install 32-bit Eclipse, Java, and rxtx to get them all to play nicely and enumerate COM ports.

(A few months ago I did try adding Eclipse Arduino IDE 2.4 to Luna 64-bit eclipse but it never worked right). It should be possible to just point Eclipse at the correct libraries and board definitions and write C++ code, right? And get Eclipse to upload compiled programs to Teensy.

With the recent updates to Arduino 1.6.5r2 and Teensyduino 1v24 it should be easier to get Eclipse to see the Teensy libraries and board definitions without copying files and using special boards.txt and platform.txt right?

I'm trying to document as I go, here should be a shared link to the Google Doc file.

Is anyone else having success with Eclipse Luna-SR2 (4.4.2), Arduino 1.6.5r2, and Teensyduino 1v24?

Bruce

Lots of better alternatives to the Arduino IDE. I don't like Eclipse either - it's too counter-intuitive.
Yes, some are using Eclipse with Teensy but it takes devotion and time to make it run. There's still no simple install - esp. with latest Arduino releases.

(I use a different and well respected IDE but it's Windows-only and free. )

Freescale's new http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=KDS_IDE uses Eclipse/Luna but that IDE is not Arduino-friendly. It is easy to bring up and use ARM CMSIS and Freescale's libraries.

Last edited:
Lots of better alternatives to the Arduino IDE. I don't like Eclipse either - it's too counter-intuitive.
Yes, some are using Eclipse with Teensy but it takes devotion and time to make it run. There's still no simple install - esp. with latest Arduino releases.

Tools develop and some are doing that at a rather fast pace. Some folks dwell too much in the past and fail to check their sources before making false statements such as the above.
Arduino Eclipse IDE Plays very nicely with the new Arduino 1.6.x IDE And Teensyduino.
I've posted installation instuction for the Arduine Eclipse IDE V 2.4 in conjunction with Arduino 1.6.x on this Forum and on my Blog. I would encurage you to try out.

These Instructions were initially written mainly for Mac users as there are much fewer choices for IDE's on the Mac platform compared to Windows. However, there are really not many differences when it comes to installing the tool.The only main difference is that the Arduuino Eclipse IDE works with the make utility and for Windows Arduino has stopped shipping these starting with (I believe) 1.5.7. Just use the one from 1.5.6 as described in the instructions. Again, this is not necessary for Mac and Linux.

I have installed and tested (simple blinky sketch) on both platforms in under 10 minutes (not including the downloads)

However, unless it is absolutely necessary don't use the plugin and install it in an existing Eclipse Installation.
Use the latest nightly build of the Arduino Eclipse IDE. This bundles the proper Eclipse version with the plugin.

Last edited:
Opinion alert: Eclipse for Arduino/Teensy on Windows still needs a clear and succinct
step by step procedure for bring-up. Or better, a wizard/installer as most IDEs have.
Also, a win-64 version since most techies use that.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with sharing an opinion but Somehow I doubt you read the installation instructions that I wrote.
The post title on my blog clearly states that the instructions are for Mac and Windows.

Mac, Windows and Linux:

1. download and install Arduino IDE ( this is per installer on Windows, or as a Zip file on Macs)
2. download and install Teensyduino ( this is per installer on Windows and Mac )
3. Download and install Arduino Eclipse IDE ( this is a packed file. Eclipse is written in Java and runs wherever you have the folder unpacked. Same on Windows, Mac, Linux. No installer, wizards, or wizardry needed)
4. Run Eclipse and configure three folder locations for Arduino IDE, Private library location and private hardware folder if any.

Done for Mac, Linux

Windows only:
5. Download Arduino IDE 1.5.6
6. Copy make utility from 1.5.6 to 1.6.x

Done. A little more detail and a few screenshots ar in the instructions I've linked to in my earlier post but this is basically it.

I followed the link posted above but didn't see, in the WIN32 section, a step by step.
The 6 steps here in post 6 seem to be a summary, not a procedure for a total newbie to Eclipse (and IDEs in general). In lieu of a wizard or script.

I hope I'm wrong.

@stevech: Good on you for giving eclipse another go. I hope you check out uECIDE too though, it had installation packages for all major operating systems (Windows is a major operating system) and, seriously, you have got to see how dazzlingly easy it is to have a professional (uncluttered, undemanding, intuitive) enough programming environment ready to compile for your target within very few minutes of first run.

I've got Eclipse Arduino working on Linux 64-bit with pretty much the latest arduino/teensyduino.

It's pretty easy if you download the whole shebang.
There were 2 gotchas.
1. Add .ino & .pde to the file extensions
2. If you have eclipse open the serial port for monitoring, close it before uploading (less you risk a enumeration issue, incorrect reporting that upload is done)

I used Eclipse for a year on a consulting project. Every day I used it. That was well and enough! I also tried it with Freescale's KDS. And earlier I almost got it working for Teensy 3.0. For all but Arduino/Teensy Eclipse had an installer / wizard and it was trivial to get the tool go in and start to do its job.

I'm happy to stay with free VS/VisualMicro since I rarely use Linux (because of my work, I use IAR EWARM + JTAG/SWD and these tools are windows only.) Someday, when all I do is email and web surfing, I can go to Linux. I do boot my Mint distro now and then. Nothing against Linux at all. Just the work tools aren't Linux based. I really focus on keeping tool-struggles near 0 because my time is billable!

Last edited:
I don't understand this part:

However, unless it is absolutely necessary don't use the plugin and install it in an existing Eclipse Installation.

Do you may be mean use the plugin a seperate Eclipse executable for Arduino/Teensy and an other Eclipse for ie Java?

Use the latest nightly build of the Arduino Eclipse IDE. This bundles the proper Eclipse version with the plugin.

where to find this?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back