Help with blinky buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimSVMI83

I'm a capable programmer and a hobby builder but I'm stumped and need some help. My son and I are building a Retro game for him "Porta Pi" and I thought we would add a mod he has for blinking buttons using a Teensy 2.0++. unfortunately his wiring is minimal and I must have it wrong or it is an ID-10 -t error (idiot). any help or suggestions for another way would be appreciated. http://www.retrobuiltgames.com/porta-pi-arcade-help/blinky-led-buttons/. Thank you.

Jim

Hi,

Sorry, but in order to help, we will need a little more information about what your actual issue is? IE, it doesn't compile, or doesn't run, or doesn't behave in some way it's intended to, etc.

You haven't told us what you need help with. What are you expecting to see? What do you see? What have you already tried? How are things wired? How are things powered?

I took a brief glance at your link, but not your video, so apologies if the information needed is there.

I suggest you start with one led and build up from there.

I'm a capable programmer and a hobby builder but I'm stumped and need some help. My son and I are building a Retro game for him "Porta Pi" and I thought we would add a mod he has for blinking buttons using a Teensy 2.0++. unfortunately his wiring is minimal and I must have it wrong or it is an ID-10 -t error (idiot). any help or suggestions for another way would be appreciated. http://www.retrobuiltgames.com/porta-pi-arcade-help/blinky-led-buttons/. Thank you.

Jim

So the software compiles I must have the wiring wrong. I will try one light at a time it's just hard to debug without any lights or output. I was hoping someone would have wired a series of led's with pwm's and had some thoughts. Essentially the wiring I have is

pwm --------led---------resistor------gnd.

there is a signal jumper to the rx port

Jim

Things to check or try:

• Are the LEDs wired with the correct polarity?
  • Does your blinking code work with the built-in LED?
  • Have you checked your wiring with a multi-meter?
  • Are any wires shorted together that shouldn't be?
  • Are the resistors sized appropriately for the LEDs?
  • How much current do the LEDs need? Is this more than the Teensy can safely supply?
  • Are the patterns executing so quickly that it's impossible for the human eye to perceive them?
  • Can you use Serial.begin(), Serial.print() and Serial.println() to print a log of what your code is trying to do?

I bet you'll get it sorted pretty soon and when you do it will be a cool build! :cool:

Okay, pictographer's list above is pretty good, but personally, I would start with something basic (I'm on the assumption you've not worked with Arduino/Teensy before?).

First, upload and run the blink sketch, which should blink the onboard LED on the Teensy (connected to pin 13).
After that, try getting an external LED to blink on a different pin (just adapt the blink sketch code). Do this by connecting, for instance, pin 6 (chosen arbitrarily) to the anode (positive, longer leg) of an LED, the cathode (negative, shorter leg) to a resistor in the range of 220->1k ohms, and finally the other side to ground.

EG.
Pin 6 -> LED (+) ----- LED (-) -> Resistor -> GND

You should be able to get the LED to blink as the onboard one did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back