Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: "Digital Input/Output" webpage needs a refresh?

"Digital Input/Output" webpage needs a refresh?

Hi there,

I'm trying to bring up a new project on Teensyduino and I was trying to use the webpage here:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_digital.html

The page says:

You can control the mode of any pin using the pinMode() function. For example:
    Code:
      pinMode(PIN_D6, OUTPUT);
    but it looks like this page only applies to Teensy < 3.0 - when I try that specific code in an otherwise empty project for Teensy 3.1:

Code:
    void setup() {
      // put your setup code here, to run once:
      pinMode(PIN_A1, OUTPUT);

}

void loop() {
      // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}
    I get the following error:

Code:
    Arduino: 1.6.5 (Linux), TD: 1.24, Board: "Teensy 3.1, Serial, 96 MHz optimized (overclock), US English"

Build options changed, rebuilding all

/home/gareth/tools/arduino-1.6.5/hardware/tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -O -g -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -nostdlib -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=124 -DARDUINO=10605 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -I/home/gareth/tools/arduino-1.6.5/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy3 /tmp/build2195455312139044899.tmp/sketch_jul01b.cpp -o /tmp/build2195455312139044899.tmp/sketch_jul01b.cpp.o 
    sketch_jul01b.ino: In function 'void setup()':
    sketch_jul01b.ino:3:11: error: 'PIN_A1' was not declared in this scope
    'PIN_A1' was not declared in this scope
    Digging into the header files in arduino-1.6.5/hardware/teensy/avr/cores shows that the pins are only defined in the PIN_nn syntax for the teensy/ core, not teensy3/.

Does that page need an update for 3.0/3.1? Could it be at least flagged at the top as incorrect for 3.0 and 3.1 to save some time for others?

Cheers
    Gareth
    Last edited by gde; 07-01-2015 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Change to a more relevant pin

It does need an update, yes.

Use the Arduino pin numbers (just the number for digital pins, A plus a number for analog pins), not the ancient PIN_* syntax. You can find the pin numbers on the [url=http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/pinout.html]pinout page]. For example you could refer to the pin which connects to port D6 on Teensy 2.0 as "11" or as "A10".

Yes, I should have said I found the "A1" syntax when I dug into the headers. After having browsed around further on the forum it looks like the static content is about to be replaced/supplemented with a wiki so maybe it's moot now.

Thanks for the reply.

Gareth