Program a Teensy 3.1 with Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitter

I'll soon have some Teensy implementations "out in the wild", and I'd like to update them without lugging a laptop with me.

Are there any options for programming via an Android phone over USB?

Last edited:
No, there's no such support for Andriod, or iOS.

There's no plans to develop such a thing. But even if there were, can apps really access the USB. Don't they run inside some sort of sandbox, where they can't get direct hardware access?

..can apps really access the USB. Don't they run inside some sort of sandbox, where they can't get direct hardware access?
It has been done already for Arduino. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.antonsmirnov.android.arduinocommander

In Dec 2012, someone tried to port the Teensy Loader to Arduino:
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/3654-Teensy-loader-for-Raspberry-Pi
I've start the same project using Android, basicly a smaller version of IOIO which only requires USB host mode. Also, have updated firmware so Android can now talk to the teensy 3.0. The main issues are:
- Basic loader for Android (Since IOIO is really just an I/O level operation, once the firmware is done, then, no need to really update)
- Common I/O protocol, there are several, IOIO, is one of many, but it is a basic protocol to communicate to get serial, I2C, PWM etc. So, the board is basicly a I/O interface via USB.
I've also been thinking of using i2c/USB , there is a spec now for this...

I'll do some digging and see if there is any unreported progress in the past few years.

Of late, Android, e.g., my HTC phone, can do limited hardware things (w/o rooting). E.g,. USB OTG is supported. I do have to use a OTG adapter cable.
And my tablet (Android) be a serial terminal via USB. That's handy for microprocessor fiddling. The app for that is nicely done, in the Google apps downloads.

No, there's no such support for Andriod, or iOS.

There's no plans to develop such a thing. But even if there were, can apps really access the USB. Don't they run inside some sort of sandbox, where they can't get direct hardware access?

Too bad. OTG (on-the-go) has gotten fairly easy to do with arduino and it opens up a lot of cool possibilities - you can use your phone, or tablet, to program, interact or display data from the arduino.

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back