hearing aid using audio adapter board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJB

Done several DIY hearing aids over last two years (using analog) that were functional for most open-air music listening, and marginal for speech recognition with any ambient noise. Problem seems to be Peak/attack/decay circuit did not handle all the weird impulse stuff, but not certain if practical way to do analog-only for most conditions without the weirdo phase issues. Looking at making something more versatile, that is, multiple ambient condition 'profiles'.

My hearing loss cannot be fixed just by freq shift due to other issues, so looking a multiple combinations of digital compression/companding/shifting/bank-filtering. Considering a T3.1+audio adapter board as The Solution.

Have researched published h-aid processing algorithms, but most of the papers are by academics having dubious math that makes little sense. And the audio stuff found on adafruit, hackaday, sparkfun, etc too simplistic and not robust. So gonna be that Not-Invented-Here guy and refuse to pay $$$$ to the man. Ideas for adaptive software filters at 25Hz to 8kHz using the audio lib?

Huh? say it again louder and slower, please; cannot hear you...

I have contemplated this myself for the last 7 years, well done for having done some designs already.

My current theoretical design uses one of these:
http://www.analog.com/en/products/a...ssors/sigmadsp-audio-processors/adau1452.html

The tool to program it is graphical, like the teensy one, and free.
http://www.analog.com/en/design-cen...opment-software/ss_sigst_02.html#dsp-overview

Also has an evaluation board
http://www.analog.com/en/design-cen...on-boards-kits/EVAL-ADAU1452.html#eb-overview

Is using a teensy a fixed requirement?

Just in case using Teensy is a fixed requirement...

posting to subscribe to volunteer; In spite of recent revelation of a serious screw up I made in a very very related object/function I think I can be heaps of help with this sort of thing - certainly would like to be in any case.

Reckon you could probably do just (near enough) as well using Teensy 3.1 with or without Audio Adapter.

If you need guinea pigs I will gladly offer to help. No code abilities and very much a beginner in electronics but I can offer encouragement. I have had hearing aids for years and also need more than freq shift. They have come a long way but even the new models struggle with various environments. It is terribly frustrating when people think that because you have hearing aids your ability to hear is "back to normal". I compare hearing aids at their current development to a person with poor eye sight getting prescription glasses and then putting finger prints over the lenses.

Looked at the AD DSP (1452). As usual , AD makes some impressive stuff. AD and LT op amps and their other analog stuff are my personal and professional preference. Looked at several discrete DSP solutions, but for various reasons, decided to stick with a FS M3 or M4. What has been drawn on paper to date is T31+AA+amp, and as learning curve for audio processing stuff is climbed, will probably use just M3 / M4 + class D amp.

Dunno why you good people would offer your ears for test, because the 'response profiles' and amp will be designed for my particular case. Which results from mortars, several tours on a carrier flight deck, tinnitus, small GA aircraft, and rock and roll.

Dunno why you good people would offer your ears for test, because the 'response profiles' and amp will be designed for my particular case.

If there were a way to see generally something useful come of this it would be important to many. My sister-in-law [like many others] has a $5,000 fancy box of useless earplugs on her shelf, and my 87 year old Mom has really lost her hearing in recent years, and my tinnitus seems louder as I go.

Ideally 'your profile' could be adjusted away with good coding, and folks with hearing would never accept anomalies like noise and feedback squeals and call it a finished product.

Amazon doesn't seem have a good selection of even simple amps that you can expect to work - one with 'tone' control is $120 - and ships with an earbud and headset that aren't worth the cost of packaging.

How can there not be something useful out there? I have a twin earbud LG Neck band Bluetooth. If it could just invert its function and cancel the user voice and then amplified the background when not on a call or playing music - at $50 it would be a massive improvement over the Amazon offerings in size, convenience and cost - not to mention the expected clarity based on how well it noise cancels and does what it does for phone calls in a noisy environment.

While I can't get directly involved in your project, I would be curious to hear how the audio library works. The existing filters and faders or mixers might be helpful?

Currently there's no advanced real-time pitch shifting in the library, but that's on my long-term list of awesome (and perhaps too difficult) things to try implementing someday. If you need this, or other very specific (and reasonably well defined) algorithms, please let me know. I can't promise anything, but I would like to eventually expand the library to provide more types of real-time processing that could be useful for this sort of project.

Something like that - was thinking of ways to decimate and go between freq and time domain to do pseudo real-time processing . If can find the right tap count per data set and run the T31 at least 72MHz, looks doable. Did not want to be 'dependent' on windowed data, so was going to do a somewhat aggressive analog front-end.

Concept is to sequentially decimate in both f and t domains so each subsequent transform is done on smaller data set. Is this crazy?

Decimating sampled signals almost always requires careful filtering, to avoid Nyquist aliasing.

From only this brief and imprecise description, I really don't have a clear picture of the algorithm you're considering, so I really can't comment on specifics.

I don’t really know how that can be made possible. Because I have been using advanced hearing aids from Hearing Solutions in Toronto for the last few years and I haven’t experienced any problems so far. I’m using CICs, as I was having moderate hearing loss. You still have many options available before doing an experiment with your own ear. So I would recommend you to try any other resource to solve your hearing problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back