serial monitor issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan129

Dear friends,

I bought a teensy 3.1 board.

I uploaded the blink sketch which worked well, then I tried uploading the serial sketch, but it hasn't worked - I uploaded the code, set the teensy as "serial" and then tried to choose the serial port as described in your instructions.

The Arduino IDE (1.6.5) doesn't let me choose a serial port and when I open the serial it sends me a message which says "no serial port name defined".

What should I do to open the serial monitor and communicate with it?

Thank you ,Dan.

Teensy becomes a serial device *after* you upload, and only if Tools > USB Type is set to Serial when you compile. The other settings cause Teensy to implement other non-Serial devices.

In the non-serial modes, the serial monitor uses HID to emulate serial, so you can still use Serial.print(). In those modes, you can't select any port.

In the Serial mode, after Teensy has started running your program, the Tools > Ports menu should update to show the new port.

You didn't mention which operating system you're using. Maybe Windows? The lingo and specific ways to troubleshoot are different on each system.

I've had issues before where the Teensy and another serial device install onto the same com port in windows rendering the serial moniter in arduino IDE non functional, while programming it still seems to work fine. I had to manually reassign the com port in windows device manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back