How to delete the Teensy USB Serial driver from Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulStoffregen

Windows 10 has its own USB serial INF "driver". You no longer need to install Teensy's serial driver.

During installation with Teensyduino 1.24, I recommend using the "Skip Driver Install" button.

Capture5.PNG

Teensyduino 1.25 will be updated to detect Windows 10 and automatically skip the driver installation.

If you have already installed the Teensy USB Serial driver, it's unlikely to cause any harm. Both the Teensy and Windows 10 INFs simply cause Windows to use USBSER.SYS. Either way, you're using the same actual driver.

If you'd like to remove the Teensy USB Serial "driver", follow these steps.

First, right-click the start menu and open the Device Manager. Connect a Teensy to your PC, which is programmed with Tools > USB Type (in Arduino) set to "Serial". PJRC ships every Teensy pre-programmed as RawHID, so you must program the Teensy at least once from Arduino to get to this step.

Capture1.PNG

Right-click "Teensy USB Device" and select "Uninstall".

Capture2.PNG

In the confirmation window, check the box for "Delete the driver software for this device" and click "OK".

Capture3.PNG

Unplug the Teensy from your PC, and then plug it back in. Windows will now use its own built-in INF, which causes the name to be "USB Serial Device".

Capture4.PNG

Very good info.
But in a week or two, it'll be lost in the noise.
Sure need that blog or equiv.

It didn't take a whole week - Paul had to link me here already :) I could have done this myself - but I missed the note about it being a NOP and asked on the 1.25 beta thread.

Hi Paul,
I just switched to Windows 10, before I had Windows 7 and I have a problem with the driver. The serial communication runs, but I don't get the dtr Signal. Like you showed here:https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_serial.html I ask if a pc Programm has connected, which runs very good @ Win7 but with Windows 10 I see that a programm runs, but if I quit the program dtr doesn't go low. Is it possible to exchange manually the standard USB driver to the old teensy driver?
Thanks for help!

Lars

On Windows 10 we use the built-in driver. Nothing special is installed.

Windows 10 is the first version where Microsoft provides a complete driver. All prior versions required installing an INF (which still used Microsoft's USBSER.SYS). When you run the Teensyduino installer or stand-alone serial installer, it detects the presence of Microsoft's driver and skips installing anything.

If the driver on Windows 10 isn't working properly, you'll have to take that up with Microsoft!

What methods are available to give these devices their own name? I already have multiple teensy-lc midi devices and plugging them all in is a confusing world within a DAW. Do you select Teensy-LC midi in or Teensy-LC midi in? :)

Were we to be manufacturing products with the Teensy loader (or even a full teensy board) within them - It would important to rename the device.

Would this need a customised teensy loader and driver - Or is there some way to tell microsoft this midi device should actually be described as "..."?

What methods are available to give these devices their own name? I already have multiple teensy-lc midi devices and plugging them all in is a confusing world within a DAW. Do you select Teensy-LC midi in or Teensy-LC midi in? :)

Were we to be manufacturing products with the Teensy loader (or even a full teensy board) within them - It would important to rename the device.

Would this need a customised teensy loader and driver - Or is there some way to tell microsoft this midi device should actually be described as "..."?

The wall of silence prompted me to search again; I must have used better keywords this time - it's easily possible but beware the windows registry cache :)

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/23523-Change-device-name

Oh, you're asking about USB MIDI on this thread for USB Serial. They work differently. For Serial, everything Windows shows you (other than messages the New Hardware Wizard might show if things go wrong) comes from the INF. For MIDI, Windows does use the strings from Teensy.

Quite some time ago, a mechanism was added (but never well documented) for customizing the MIDI name. Maybe best to start a new thread specifically about MIDI name, knowing it's done differently than Serial....

Generally, I use driver tool like Driver Talent to manag driver in my Windows 10 desktop. It can help me removere driver on Windows easily!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back