Long delay before teensy loader uploads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neutron7

Sorry if this is a common question, Someone posted a fix for this somewhere but now i can not find it!

after using a few different USB devices and teensys, it takes a long time for the teensy to get the new upload. the reboot happens right away, but i have to wait a few seconds after it says "press button" before it automatically uploads. (without pressing the button) this happens on 3 different teensys. (it does occasionally work as fast as it used to, maybe one in 10 uploads)

I am using windows 7 ultimate.

I did remove all the unused USB devices from device manager but I seem to remember there was something else you have to do as well.

*EDIT removed unused teensys from the serial ports in device manager as well using SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1

Last edited:
It's a bug in Windows. The delay is different depending on what you select in Tools > USB Type. Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick is the worst.

Microsoft finally fixed this in Windows 10, making it about the same speed as Mac and Linux. All prior versions of Windows have this delay problem. I do not know of any solution, other than upgrading to Windows 10 (or Mac or Linux).

I see this on the Mac, too (10.9.5). Varies. Sometimes instant, sometimes up to a minute. Switching USB ports often fixes it for a while. There have been times when I wasn't able to get a new sketch to upload at all without a reboot (and my usual method is pressing the button on the teensy; rarely do I ever press the "upload" button in the IDE).
David

WINDOWS_10 :: I don't have a bug - may just need to reboot. My machine up 3 days ( see "since" in "CMD" / "net stats srv" ).

Just did some uploads and finding my COM# usb connect going off and not coming back. Moved USB cable once it worked for next upload - then moved it back and it worked again - not re-plugged since and done a dozen+ uploads. IDE SerMon was worthless with ORANGE 'port issue' text.

This is a variation maybe of the SerMon swapping window I noted elsewhere - TYQT fixed that - but shows the loss of port here. Punching Program or replugging started working for now - using TYQT {bootloader 'house' icon' or pushbutton}. Will document if I see it again more clearly. Some of it may have been over throttling the USB with SPEW on a short duration timer. blink.

So Win_10 not perfect - in fact a bit different on 2 same machines. But working as needed so far with 1.6.5r2 IDE & TL_1.24.

I've pushed a dozen other folks machines to Win_10 now with no catastrophe for general home usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back