Using Stino with Teensyduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenkai

Just thought I would throw this out there for folks who don't want to use the Arduino IDE:

I found a fix. the problem is in the stino platform file.

Code:
install Teensyduino
install Arduino
Replace the contents of

~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/Stino/preset/platform_teensy3.txt

with the contents of

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/platform.txt

Compile in stino!

Not always, but sometimes I will also get another error about not being able to reference extra.time.local. This fixes it:

Code:
modify /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/boards.txt 

change:

teensy31.build.flags.ld=-Wl,--gc-sections,--relax,--defsym=__rtc_localtime={extra.time.local} "-T{build.core.path}/mk20dx256.ld"

to:

teensy31.build.flags.ld=-Wl,--gc-sections,--relax "-T{build.core.path}/mk20dx256.ld"

https://github.com/Robot-Will/Stino/issues/248

Still no luck

Just thought I would throw this out there for folks who don't want to use the Arduino IDE:

I found a fix. the problem is in the stino platform file.

Code:
install Teensyduino
install Arduino
Replace the contents of

~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/Stino/preset/platform_teensy3.txt

with the contents of

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/platform.txt

Compile in stino!

Not always, but sometimes I will also get another error about not being able to reference extra.time.local. This fixes it:

Code:
modify /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/boards.txt 

change:

teensy31.build.flags.ld=-Wl,--gc-sections,--relax,--defsym=__rtc_localtime={extra.time.local} "-T{build.core.path}/mk20dx256.ld"

to:

teensy31.build.flags.ld=-Wl,--gc-sections,--relax "-T{build.core.path}/mk20dx256.ld"

https://github.com/Robot-Will/Stino/issues/248

Unfortunately, when I follow your steps, I get quite odd behavior:
- After making the change in the platform_teensy3.txt file, I launch Sublime Test, and get an error message:
"Error loading meta info from Packages/Stino-ST4ArduinoIDE/Comments.tmPreferences: Error parsing plist xml: Failed to open file In file "Packages/Stino-ST4ArduinoIDE/Comments.tmPreferences"

This error message is being thrown because the named file is missing...because after the change, upon launch, the entire Stino package file is being moved out of ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 2/Packages and into /Backup. It's as if something is detecting that a change has been made to the file, and it is now seen as a threat and removed.

1) Can anyone explain this behavior?
2) Are there steps that will make Stino and Teensy 3.1 work together? I've tried the above suggestion and all others I've found online, and so far no luck.

Thanks!

As Defragster mentioned, there is a new version of Stino which works much better.

It is still under development. Recently I was having problems with it crashing on me, there are a few issues up there on it.
But I was able to improve a lot by pruning out lots of stuff out of my Sketch folder, including lots of libraries that I downloaded over the years.

Right now I am alternating between using it with the Released Submlime text and the in development version.

As Defragster mentioned, there is a new version of Stino which works much better...

Thanks, Kurt...but > 1 year later, I'm still not clear on how to make Stino work in my environment.
I should note that I'm using ST 3, on Mac OS X 10.12.4, and Stino v2017.04.14.11.20.09. Arduino IDE 1.6.12 and Teensyduino 1.31.

I have the following observations:
1) The Stino setup instructions say "This software uses 3 folders: Arduino App Folder, Sketchbook Folder and Arduino IDE folder." However, the keys provided in the app_dir settings file are ""additional_app_path, app_dir_path, and sketchbook_path", so the mapping is not clear for 2/3 of the targets. This is perhaps a minor detail, since I can work by trial and error, but it leads to uncertainty given my other findings:

2) Selecting "Show Sketch Folder" has no effect. As noted below, my sketches _are_ listed, so I _believe_ that I've got the sketchbook path specified correctly, but...

3) I _am_ able to specify "teensy" from the Platform menu, and select "Teensy 3.2/3.1" from the Board menu. All board options are configured as expected. And yet, at least once I have observed output suggesting that it was attempting to operate on an "Arduino Yún"--though I'm set up for teensy.

4) I _am_ able to use Stino to build and upload the Blink example from Arduino's "01.Basics" directory. However, although Stino offers the "Teensy" directory under "Open Example", and lists the subdirectories, it will not list the sketches within those subdirectories. So I cannot, for example, open the example "Teensy>Tutorial1>Blink" (which I can do in Arduino IDE).

5) I _am_ able to specify the location of my sketches directory, and Stino correctly lists the contents under "Open Sketch." However, when I attempt to build one of those sketches, the build message pane appears to stall indefinitely at Step 2, "Find all source files."

6) I occasionally see output in the Message Panel suggesting that large and long-running arduino-related installations are taking place...is the Stino package downloading additional code after installation? Do I need to leave the program alone with my computer for a few hours to complete installation?

I'm currently reading all of this as indicating that some portion of Stino is having trouble finding something in my environment...but I haven't yet discovered what.

And just an aside: is there any way to kill an in-progress build other than quitting ST?

Thanks for any info

I didn't mean to resurrect this thread - Stino install notes on the linked thread worked for me - on Windows.

I'm not sure if Stino cares/uses the IDE install for anything that may be affected - but I'm on 1.8.1 of the IDE and TD_1.36. I assume Kurt is similarly current and that may affect the results?

If you can do a clean install of the current IDE and TD it might work out better?

Some things setting up folders and such as I recall may have been somewhat unclear - but worked with the right setting found.

#4> The 'Arduino / Open Platform Example' is where the device specific libray examples are exposed - Kurt ( and MR.Stino_dev ) showed me that the other day

#5> stall on 'find all source files' - I saw that the other week. It seems there was a fix - but in your case if Stino isn't clear on what is where that may be breaking the build.

#6> Stino does use the 'JSON' web install for things - that wouldn't apply to Teensy - though it may be trying to update other files from the IDE causing trouble on the older IDE there.

In progress builds don't have an abort that I have found a way to trigger.

I should mention I am not a big MAC expert. I do have a MACBook that I use as a secondary machine.

I did get it to work, earlier but I had to experiment.

What I did was do the standard stuff to install Arduino I think I have 1.8.2 and it is in the applications folder.
I also have Sublime text 3 and I installed Stino in the packages folder. (I actually did a git clone into here (github desktop), such that I can use Git to stay up to date.

I assume you downloaded current stuff from: https://github.com/Robot-Will/Stino

I then did the app_dir_stino_settings.
What I found I needed was to set the addition_app_path to "/applications/Arduino.app/Conents/Java"

You then need t go to the Arduino->Install Platform directory and select the Add Arduino IDE. After that I probabably exited and restarted Stino.
I then went to Arduino->Platform->Arduino IDE->teensy
I then selected the Teensy I wished to program for...

If you are able to choose Teensy 3.2.

Sorry I probably won't go down issue by issue as Defragster has answered several.

With some of these things, it may turn out he has not tested it on a MAC... So when you find thins it is good to issue an issue to his github project with as much information as possible...

Example: Show sketch folder works under windows, but does not appear to work under the mac.

I have run into issues where if you try to download additional platforms, like ESP32, it may not succeed... I reported it earlier.

Sometimes when I change Board types, especially Platform types, you sometimes have to exit editor and restart before it picks up the right options. Again if you find a reproducible case report it.

Sometimes when I load a new sketch and try to do a compile, the first time I try the compile it fails to find some library that it should find, but then if you retry to do a compile it then finds it. Not sure I reported this one yet.

Again if you run into long running setup things, it probably means it is having issues. So best to report which one it is having problems with. And as mentioned in the Readme of the project, you should try to look at the console output: View->Show Console.
For example on my Mac ti is giving an error about esp8266 package... Error 403: Forbidden...

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back