Teensyduino Install Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMcI

I am totally frustrated by this. I have been trying to install the teensyduino software to my computer all weekend. I have uninstalled and installed multiple version of the arduino software (I currently have 1.6.1 installed how). I have tried disabling all antivirus software. I've even tried this whole process on my old labtop which runs Windows 7 (my new laptop uses windoes 8) and encounter the same problem. And i am running the uploader as the administrator on both computers.

When I hit install I get an ERROR message saying "unable to write file "hardware/tools/teensy.exe""

I'm not sure what is going wrong, any help would be much appreciated.

teensyduino error.jpg

Try to execute the teensyduino software as admin.
And did you choose the correct folder ?

Last edited:
It's very strange that you're getting this same problem on 2 different computers, even after trying so many things to solve it.

Many thousands of people have successfully installed on Windows. The stuff you've already tried covers all the common problems: anti-virus interfering, admin permissions needed to write to a directory, or a Windows not allowing the write because a copy is still running.

Something is different on your computer, on BOTH of your computers, than we experience on virtually all other Windows systems. But what?

Do you have access to a third computer, which hasn't ever run Arduino? Perhaps you could install Arduino, and be careful to NOT customize or change anything from the default settings. Arduino's installer places the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino by default. Then run the Teensyduino installer, again with defaults. It looks first in that location, so it will find your copy of Arduino. If you could just get it installed properly on a clean machine, maybe that could help you to at least see how things work.

Something must be very strange about both your computers, if you truly have tried all those steps to resolve the common problems. I know you probably won't believe this, but for the same mysterious thing to happen on 2 machines, which persists even after you run in admin mode and disable anti-virus, well, it must be some sort of strange setup. This absolutely doesn't happen on normal Windows machines. But I have no way of seeing your machine, so I can't even begin to guess what could be different.

Really, I'm guessing here.... but perhaps you've already managed to run Teensy Loader somehow? That seems unlikely, if you've never managed to get the install working.

But if the install had previously worked, and if you'd run Arduino, and if you'd used Verify or Upload, it would have launched the little Teensy Loader window. Normally, that would remain visible on your desktop. Or if you'd minimized it, the icon should be visible in your task bar. When you quit Arduino, the Teensy Loader doesn't automatically quit. It stays running.

Based on everything in the original message, it seems very unlikely that Teensy Loader could be running. But if it were still running, even if minimized to the task bar, Windows would not allow overwriting the application while it's still running (even if you're the administrator).

Sorry to revive an old thread, but the issue is new to me. Arduino 1.8.5 on Win10. Revisited a project that used a Teensy 3.2 and can't get it to install 1.42. Originally the Arduino was installed from the .zip, so I went back and used the installer. They are in the default location. The Teensyduino installer runs fine and completes without complaint, but the Teensys don't show up in the board menu, so I can't get to them. The 3.2 does show up as as Teensyduino rawHID when the unused USB ports are deleted and it is reinserted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

bo

If the T_3.2 shows as RawHID - then it is being detected with the current TD 1.42 setup? RawHID is when it is in Bootloader mode and ready to receive code by TeensyLoader programming - or it wa slast programmed as RawHID.

Load and compile a blink sketch with USB Type Serial and it should upload, perhaps with a Button press.

See this post for more details and a good blink test sketch:: teensy-1st-setup-problem

Usually this problem turns out to be 2 or more copies of Arduino on your PC, where you run the installer on one copy, but then unintentionally run a different copy. Often it turns out to be matter of which copy Windows runs when you double click on .ino files or a shortcut icon.

A less likely scenario is security setting or anti-virus software or Windows Defender silently interfered with the installer, causing some or all of the files to not be written. As a quick sanity check, inside the Arduino folder you should find hardware/teensy, where most of the Teensyduino files are installed, and several teensy programs in hardware/tools, and the files lib/arduino-core.jar and lib/pde.jar should have last-modified timestamps from when you run the installer.

Thanks loads guys.
Turned out to be a combination of both of your suggestions. The root of this was that I blew up a Teensy (or at least bricked it pretty good) and had to replace it on an assembly. Tried to go back and reload the new one and no joy. Of course, by now, I was on a new laptop and had to rebuild all that.
In my playing, I had loaded the original .zip of 1.8.5 and also Felix Rusu's 1.8.6. In an attempt to get things back to standard, I let the installer do an install also. So Teensyduino Installer found one that happened to not be the ones that I tried.

I really hate to ask questions on the forum, figuring that I ought to figure it out on my own and learn, but sometimes, you just don't have the depth to move forward. Its why this product is so superior over other offerings. I don't even think I'd be in the Arduino ecosystem if it weren't for here.

On that note, a bit of trivia. The reason I haven't been working on Teensy's lately is because I have had a rather challenging (for me) project. It happened that another platform of similar size that had the right, shall we say, feathers, to fit my project. the product is good, and I have nothing against those guys, but I sure find better information here in the Teensy world. Just saying...

bo

Good feedback bo - I've added text below to linked 'teensy-1st-setup-problem' to try to account for Paul's notes about multiple IDE confusion.
> ** More than one IDE install is possible. Make sure the IDE running is the same one the TeensyInstaller updated.
--> See 'Help / About' from the IDE for the version of Teensyduino associated with that IDE. If not check the 'shortcut/link' used

Asking questions when you get stuck is good - it may be a question others run into that can be corrected, or at least answered to reduce frustration or failure.

Indeed others make a breadth of good hardware - with PJRC's directed focus on making Teensy and supporting it I've found this forum to be outstanding for filling in the void beyond the beaten/provided path - with more performance/$ on top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back