cannot get Teensy 3.3 to install in Ubuntu 14 04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wray

I cannot get Teensy 3.3 to install in Linux/Ubuntu.
I have downloaded and extracted files off and on for a month now, to no avail
The problem is almost certainly my state of abysmal ignorance, but it is what it is.
I still would like very much to get this board up and running but it appears that I
will need a plug and play install - similar to Windows?

I know my board is functional _ the led blinks and shuts off on reset.
My USB cable is good - it works on my camera.

My assessment of my situation is that I will require explicit, detailed install instructions.
I don't seem to know enough to follow instruction that apparently work fine for other, more
knowledgeable, users who have no problems.

Windows is not an option for me...

I have ordered PyBoard, but I would much rather use the Teensy - either one of these
boards is huge over kill for what I want to do.

Oh well, what i really want to do is run MicroPython anyway...

Try the instructions on this page:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Please notice you must get the 1.25-beta version of Teensyduino if you download Arduino 1.6.5-r5. Also download the Linux udev rules.

It's ok to be new. If you get stuck, just give us some details about what when wrong. Perhaps a post screenshot... remember, we can't see your screen.

Which version of teensyduino do I need for "Regular" Arduino? Which combination is better?
I am a little fuzzy on where teenstduino goes same for Linux udev rules.
So, you see, I really dealing from a position of abysmal ignorance...

Try the instructions on this page:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Please notice you must get the 1.25-beta version of Teensyduino if you download Arduino 1.6.5-r5. Also download the Linux udev rules.

It's ok to be new. If you get stuck, just give us some details about what when wrong. Perhaps a post screenshot... remember, we can't see your screen.

If you're going to edit files in Arduino's editor, the latest Arduino 1.6.5-r5 and Teensyduino 1.25-beta2 are probably best.

If you prefer to use a different editor (eg, with File > Preference in Arduino set to use an external editor), then you should probably download the old Arduino 1.6.3. Either Teensyduino 1.24 or 1.25-beta2 is fine with 1.6.3. Arduino versions newer than 1.6.3 have a bug with the external editor feature.

I am a little fuzzy on where teenstduino goes same for Linux udev rules.

Arduino is the software you will actually use. Teensyduino is an installer that modifies the Arduino software, to add the Teensy-specific stuff. After you've run the installer, you copy of Arduino has more files and supports Teensy. You no longer need the Teensyduino installer. You'll just run Arduino, and select Teensy from the Tools > Boards menu.

The udev rules are just a file, which you need to copy to a specific location on your Linux machine. By default, Linux disallows access to unknown USB devices, for security reasons. The udev file just gives you (anyone using your Linux computer) permission to access Teensy. It's separate from all the software, purely just a Linux configuration thing.

This tutorial has a step-by-step set of instructions. It was written with older versions of the software and the screenshots are from an older version of Ubuntu, so things will appear slightly different, but all the steps are still the same.

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/tutorial.html

So, you see, I really dealing from a position of abysmal ignorance...

It's ok to be a total beginner, and it's perfectly ok to ask for help.

But we do have the "forum rule" here. If you want good help, you have to put in some effort to compose a specific question. If you're encountering a specific problem, we do expect screenshots. If there's a technical problem involving code, posting complete source code to reproduce the problem is expected. If you read through messages on this forum, you'll see we have a pretty good history of truly helping when questions have detailed info. We also have a history of being snarky when people don't follow the "forum rule".

Asking detailed questions is fine. Just don't be lazy, with vague questions lacking necessary details to show and reproduce technical problems!

I've just hold my breath reading this topic title: "Teensy 3.3"??

I thought Paul took us by surprise and has just released a new board! ;)

For the OP:

Just install Arduino using the Ubuntu package manager then run the Teensyduino installer downloaded from pjrc.com site. If you are logged in as root you don't need udev rules. Btw, I'm using Xubuntu 14.04 and I had no problem with older versions of Arduino/Teensyduino neither.

Teensyduino does not support copies of Arduino from Ubuntu's packages. The Ubuntu ones are modified, and they tend to be very old versions.

The copies at Arduino.org are also not supported.

You *must* download a supported version directly from Arduino.cc.

You're right, I forgot I was using custom PPA repositories for Arduino .deb packages. But arduino.cc releases (.tar.xz) are also easy to install, as you only need to unzip the contained folder (arduino-1.6.5, for example) to a path of choice (usually, the home folder) then run the arduino binary from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back