Problem running Visual Sudio 2015 and Visual Micro

Status
Not open for further replies.

George1

Hi,
I read previous post ( https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/2919...3-support-new-release?highlight=visual+studio ) and decided to try and install Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Micro. I run the Windows 7 64 bit version and have the Arduino 1.6.5 R2 with Teensyduino 1.24.
Installation seem to have gone well and Arduino tool path got recognized automatically but there is problem when I try to create the new Arduino Project. I go to File > New Arduino Project > Enter name and then I get the following message “Unable to create new sketch The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRWSULT: 0X80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))”. Also when I try to open ax existing Arduino project the Visual Studio just hangs and nothing happens.
I tried googling the issue but could not find any solutions. I also realize this might be outside the scope of this forum but it still might be a good questions since there are so many knowledge people on this forum.

Thanks,
George

Interested if there is anyone else doing this. I just pulled down vs2015 and the VisualMicro to try on my Win10 machine - hopefully in the next week.

Note: the latest TD 1.25b2 .exe - works with 1.6.5_R5. Post 1.6.3 there is a problem with Arduino IDE and external editors - not sure if this could be caught on that in any way? Might step back to 1.6.3 IDE with latest TD1.25 install? Given your experience this may be my plan.

Are you using the free "community" version of Visual Studio with Visual Micro?
I haven't, but have used the free 2013 version on Windows 7. Easy install.

Windows 10, not. Been there, done that, didn't get the t-shirt.

With the rapidly changing Arduino releases, PJRC and VIsual Micro and others have a hard time adjusting to them all.

Questions/troubleshooting this combo.. best to use the Visual Micro user forum.

Last edited:
I am using the free "community" version of Visual Studio 2015. Thanks fro the advice and I will post the same question on the Visual Micro forum.

Thanks

Please report back with your findings. I scanned the web front content for VisualMicro and they equated C.E. V.S. 2013 and 2015 as working. Looking to vs2015 for another issue so hoping it will work.

Hi guys,
First to say that I got it working with some help so continue reading if you are interested in more details.
I posted the same original question on the Visual Micro forum as suggested and they gave me the following advice to install the Visual Studio C++ (which I was pretty sure was installed originally when Visual Studio 2015 Community was installed, but I was wrong).
To install the right version of Visual Studio C++ I did the following :
Go to File -> New Project -> Visual C++ and there there should be an option to install Visual Studio C++. Follow the prompts and install the Visual Studio C++ and restart the commuter.
Once the software I run and tested a Blink example on my Teensy 3.1 and it worked well.
Thanks for all the help

IT WORKS!
The problem get's solved If you update Visual Studio so it can create C++ projects.
What a nightmare. For a moment I was thinking of hanging my self because of the problem.
Thank you sir.

Hi guys,
First to say that I got it working with some help so continue reading if you are interested in more details.
I posted the same original question on the Visual Micro forum as suggested and they gave me the following advice to install the Visual Studio C++ (which I was pretty sure was installed originally when Visual Studio 2015 Community was installed, but I was wrong).
To install the right version of Visual Studio C++ I did the following :
Go to File -> New Project -> Visual C++ and there there should be an option to install Visual Studio C++. Follow the prompts and install the Visual Studio C++ and restart the commuter.
Once the software I run and tested a Blink example on my Teensy 3.1 and it worked well.
Thanks for all the help

I massively prefer Atmel Studio + Visual Micro but each to their own!

I know what you mean. But I'm not a pro and usually work with Visual Studio, so it works fine. I saw that when you download Visual Micro through Visual Studio you get the pro version for free, that's nice. I hope in the future I'll convert to Atmel Studio. :eek:

I know what you mean. But I'm not a pro and usually work with Visual Studio, so it works fine. I saw that when you download Visual Micro through Visual Studio you get the pro version for free, that's nice. I hope in the future I'll convert to Atmel Studio. :eek:
er, make that Microchip Studio. (?)

Question: What does Visual Micro on Visual Studio use for Uploading to Teensy? Does it tie into the Arduino IDE settings and use the loader specified there - or its own setup?

I've started doing Arduino on ESP8266 and while the IDE 1.6.7 worked okay enough on Teensy alone (1 or more) - at least using TYQT for SerMon and other features like now it is a TeensyLoader replacement too!- and IDE gave each instance its own TEMP build dir for partial recompile - that breaks as soon as you change the device ESP to TEENSY - meaning a full recompile. Plus having to edit the tools / device back and forth.

So looking to make a second IDE run in parallel - wanting to make sure it won't conflict on the loader or somewhere.

The Arduino IDE 1.6.7 does OTA loading to ESP - runs at least 3 times faster than serial and no cable. Does Visual Micro support that like Arduino IDE does?

Thanks stevech - I'll have to try it to see if TYQT can/does act as an improved functionality replacement as it does now on Arduino IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back