Is there some way to reset MIDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixeight

OK, here is my code: github.com/sixeight7/VController

Here is my problem:
I am reading MIDI data from three devices (GP10, GR55 and VG99):
Most of the time this works fine. I can send a sysex command to the devices and the devices will answer.
But i have an intermittent problem that at times when I pull data from the GR55 my teensy LC seems to lose the ability to read data. I am still requesting data. The GR55 is sending the data, but the MIDI1.read() hook does not seem to do anything. It only happens on serial MIDI though. USB midi always works OK, but then I will need a laptop to do the MIDI bridge, which is not the best solution. I am using the MIDI 4.2 library from Francois Best for the serial MIDI.

When I restart the teensy all is working fine again.
I think the problem is due to some buffer overloading in the MIDI library.
is there some way to reset the MIDI connection without resetting the teensy?

Are there any other clues or things I should check?

Last edited:
But I still would be interested in a solution though, because there are cases where the midi shuts down...

But I still would be interested in a solution though, because there are cases where the midi shuts down...

This is a complete shot in the dark, but wouldn't calling MIDI.begin() again do just this? It is supposed to initialize serial and reset all parameters to their defaults. I'll have to try this when I get home.

I've also been looking for a solution to this to, as reset is an absolute must when working with multiple ancient HW synths and sequencers. A MIDI panic button does wonders as well if you plan on using it live.. :D

I have tried midi.begin, but it did not work. Studied the midi library, but there is nothing there that should cause a complete deadlock.

So probably it is a hardware issue. I will replace the 4n35 optocouplers with 6n138 ones. See if that will fix the issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back