Can't install Teensyduino on 4K modded version of Arduino IDE

SoftEgg

Hi!
I'm trying to make all this actually usable on my 4k laptop screen, so I installed the bleeding edge 4K support version of the Arduino IDE as detailed here: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/pull/2776
I downloaded the build here: http://arduino.cc/download.php?f=/javaide/pull_requests/arduino-PR-2776-BUILD-221-windows.zip

Unfortunately, Teensyduino won't install because the version reads "PR-2776-BUILD-221" instead of "1.6.5-r5". Dammit!

Soooo... I tried fixing the Version.txt file to contain "1.6.5-r5", but Teensyduino.exe was too smart for me:
Code:
  Checking Arduino 1.6.5-r5:
    version: "lib/version.txt"  version matches
    file: "arduino.exe"  present
    file: "arduino_debug.exe"  present
    file: "lib/jssc-2.8.0.jar"  present
    java: "lib/pde.jar" object: "processing/app/Base.class" wrong size, unsupported Arduino version
    Does not match Arduino 1.6.5-r5

So, I'm kinda stuck now. Do I continue to hack and start with a current Arduino IDE release and then drop bits of the 4K fix on top of it and hope they don't screw things up much? Or is there a better way. Right now, I can't do much of anything...

-- Tim --
SoftEgg LLC

Ha, that's a patch I submitted to Arduino! It's a terrible shame they didn't accept it.

First, chime in on github to remind the Arduino devs that high res 4K screens are still a problem. Most of them use Macs, so they're not very aware of Windows problems.

Now, with that out of the way, the sad reality is the only path to make this work is a long and difficult journey. You're going to have to recompile all of the Arduino IDE... after manually merging Teensyduino's patches and that GUI scaling patch.

Probably the least painful way would be to start with this copy, which is the closest to Arduino's code when I submitted that patch. Newer versions will be much, much harder....

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/Arduino-1.6.1-Teensyduino

First, just install the JDK, Ant and other toolchain stuff, so you can at least compile and run that copy.

Then you'll need to merge in the GUI scaling patch. Fortunately it's only 8 files modified, so not terribly difficult, even if you end up just manually changing the code in a text editor.

Then recompile the IDE again. Now you should have the GUI scaling, and you've also got the Teensyduino patches.

When that's working, you can install Teensyduino to a stock copy of 1.6.1, and then just copy it's added files from hardware/teensy, hardware/tools and a few other places into your custom compiled copy.

Oh, one little step I missed... my edited copy has a hacked build.xml, which only recompiles the Java code but skips actually building a complete copy of the IDE.

You'll need to grab a copy of the 1.6.1 source from Arduino and replace my hacked build.xml with their original copy.

If you use Linux, there's a crafty way to set up symbolic links between an existing copy of Arduino and the build location, so all that other build stuff isn't needed. That saves about 15 seconds per build on a high-end PC with SSD storage, and probably more on lesser computers. But as far as I know, there's no viable way to do that on Windows... so you need to get the original build.xml that creates a complete copy of the IDE.

I posted a quick note to the GitHub asking them to "please release it already."

Setting up a whole dev environment, integrating the changes and rebuilding the whole IDE sounds like *too* long and *too* difficult of a journey for me at this point...

Yeah, it's a very long and difficult path, especially if you're using Windows. It's still a lot of work, but much easier on Linux.

Ultimately, I just edited the theme.txt to make all the fonts bigger. The only tiny things remaining are the icons, which I can live with.

Thanks for the tips, tho! It is good to know where the Teensy libraries are located on GIT. Hmmm... where do I submit my changes to the Keypad library?

Back