Security question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kito

How secure is the teensy? I was wondering how easy would it be for somebody to copy a program flashed in a teensy and copy it to another teensy from an IP protection point of view. Can you prevent reading the program memory?

IIRC, Paul has previously mentioned that there are bits that can be set to prevent the read-out of the flash. I don't recall if he enabled setting them by users of Teensyduino. My guess would be that this feature is not yet enabled in Teensyduino because I do not recall any menus that can be toggled to enable 'do not allow readouts of the flash'.

Have you looked at the Teensy 3.x reference manual? Chapter 8 seems to have all the answers you are looking for, including how to implement the bits in question.

Thanks. Does anybody have some real world experience with protecting the program memory on a teensy. My guess is this is not something end users should do directly since the bootloader is probably going to get messed up with this.

I don't know about Teensy specifically, but it is certainly possible to make a system with flash memory that can be erased and rewritten, but not directly read out (at least via normal channels).

I believe that's what the security chapter describes.

With the right bits set, the Flash can still be erased but it cannot be read out by a debugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back