Noob ? Can I really use both sides of my Teensy 3.x at once ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen these schematics where it is clear that every pins out of both sides may be really different.
Example : PC8/A17/28 and PC6/DOUT/11 shares the same PCB hole but are clearly from different outputs on the schematic

I understand that a single feature can be drained from one multiple feature port.
Example : If I use PB16/RX1/0 as "Digital pin1", I can't use "Serial1"

Does using both sides means I need to choose between the multiple features offered by both sides as well ?
Does it means, I need to solder very carefully both sides to avoid shorting the 2 outputs ?

Although, I am confused by the RX1+TX1 in light gray (Port 5+21) ? Should I program those light gray serial ports with Serial1 as well ?

Thanks for reading anyway
Best regards

Everything can be accessed from the back side. There's several long-running threads on this forum about creative ways to connect to all the signals.

The functions marked in gray are alternate locations. By default, the ones in regular black text are used. It's possible, with some hacking, to switch the signal to those other locations. Sometimes that can be really handy, if you have a conflict and need to use the regular location for something else. But switching the signals to alternate locations takes some fiddling, so best to use them only in their default locations if you can.

Everything can be accessed from the back side. There's several long-running threads on this forum about creative ways to connect to all the signals.
Thanks. Does this means I must solder each side carefully or what is the common way to use both sides ?
It's possible, with some hacking, to switch the signal to those alternate locations in light gray.
I did searched the forum before posting and found no CODE example of this alternate usage...I don't need it now anyway.
...and Thanks again for your patience !

Thanks. Does this means I must solder each side carefully or what is the common way to use both sides ?

Any through hole is obviously the same front/back. There are additional surface pads on the back that offer additional signals. There are a few ways to connect to them. The easiest way seems to be to buy a circuit board as have been designed and posted here by a couple people, which you can solder directly to the back of the Teensy. Alternatively, as I did recently, you can get right-angle header pins and solder them directly to the pads on the back of the Teensy.

This is one of the long lived threads Paul was talking about on how to solder the pins underneath the Teensy: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/26071-Using-all-Teensy3-x-pins-with-a-socket. You would use this method with these boards:

An alternative method was recently posted by HWguy. These are boards you can order at OSHpart. These boards are made to sit directly under the Teensy, and you connect the board to the Teensy with a dab of solder:

Thanks for the clarification !
I noticed the Teensy 3.0 pinouts was not that clear...but I should have account for the more recent 3.1 3.2 pinouts where the back side was clearly annotated.
You guys rock !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back