Differential digital signals to singel ended - advice on which part to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Hi,

in an upcoming project I'd like to use an optical linear encoder with differential 5V TTL outputs (A, A/, B, B/)
I guess I could just use A and B with the Encoder Library, but that wouldn't take advantage of the robustness the differential transmission has. So what I'm looking for is an IC that converts differential 5V to "normal", single ended 5V or 3.3V. Can anyone recommend a Part or push me into the right direction of where to look for? After an initial search I found the Linear Technology LTC1443, is that suitable / overkill / a bad idea? Are there other ways the Teensy (3.1 or 3.2) can take advantage of the digital differential nature of the signals, maybe without additional hardware?

Ben

Bah, should have been looking on the forums yesterday at work I could have sent you a few images of what we do at work with our stuff. IRC they use a comparator at work to combine A /A and B /B. Considering we drive Locomotives with our motor controllers it seems to work pretty well.

This device has a transmitter integrated that I don't need, but you are right, what I'm looking for of course is RS-485. Thanks for reminding me, I somehow didn't recognize this. So searching for RS-485 receivers brought me the MAX3280E (single receiver) and the MAX3097E/MAX3098E (triple version with fault detection). I think that's exactly what I need. Thanks!

Ben

Edit:
For future reference: TI's portfolio, Linear's portfolio. Wo _so_ need a wiki for this kind of stuff...

Last edited:
So what kind of signal is coming out: you have a choice of a sinus and inverse sinus + cosinus and inverse cosinus ( so both balanced ) or a square wave output: is every sinus equals to one square wave???

What I would like to do is use a AS5311 which produces 4096 pulses per 2mm (so a resolution of 0.49µ per puls] and read it to start with a very simple buspirate and when that work move on to use a Teensy to read 3 linear rules for my lathé's two X-axes and one Y-axe. Most difficult part is I think getting the proper magnetic tape ...

Please comment if this is feasable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back