Teensyduino installation bug ?

Sferix

Hi

I have just tried to install teensyduino 1.25 on MS Vista, but it fails giving the following error. "The application failed to initialize properly (0xC0000005)". Is this a known installation bug or a fault on my machine ?

I have investigated the error but have not been able to resolve the problem. I have run the installer as admin. I do have teensyduino installed and working on a Win7 machine, but need it on the Vista machine also.

I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with the Vista installation, as such, but I do have a lot of other tools installed and perhaps there is an install conflict (tool path).

As a workaround, and assuming it is only the installer that is failing, is it possible to copy the installed teensyduino files from my Win7 machine onto the Vista machine, and what files should I be copying/replacing/editing ?

Thanks

Does Arduino, irrespective of Teensy and Teensyduino, run on Vista?
The Arduino IDE depends on Java and it's changed a lot since then.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I use Vista"
Doctor: "Well, don't do that!"

This is the very first time I've ever heard of that error when trying to run the installer. It could be a Vista issue, but I'd suspect something unique to this machine.

It's perfectly fine to copy Arduino with Teensyduino from another Windows machine. The installer only puts stuff into a specific copy of Arduino, so as long as you copy the folder and all its sub-folders and files, it should work fine. The code is identical for all versions of Windows.

The one other piece is the USB Serial INF file. There's a stand alone serial installer for that. Or you can just set Tools > USB Type to RawHID or MIDI, which don't need the serial INF.

Yes Arduino does work on Vista. Yes the machine does have an up to date version of Java. Yes I would prefer something else, but Vista is what I have.

I was thinking I would copy across just the teensyduino files from Win 7, as I already have Arduino installed on the Vista machine, but that does mean I need to know which files. Are the installation files available in a zip file at all ?

Just copy the whole Arduino over.

No, the install is very complex, which is why there's an installer. Source is on github in several repositories.

If you really want to dig into this, you can install on Win7 and compare the installed copy to a fresh Arduino. It's complicated. The installer is meant to make this simple for you. If you want to dig into the gory details, you can... but I really can't spend a lot of time helping you. Look at the many repositories on my github account if you want to dig deep into stuff.

Perhaps Vista shouldn't be used any longer because it's a security risk not only for the user himself, but also for others (bot nets etc) ?

Back