USB bus isolation for Teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nominal Animal

As you probably know, ground loops (ground potential differences) are a frequent headache when using a Teensy to interface to external hardware. The computer the Teensy is connected to, and the external hardware Teensy interfaces to, are rarely using the same ground potential. In my case, the peripherals are 5 VDC (GPIB aka IEEE-488 bus transceivers to interface to oscilloscopes and such). I do believe the audio folks encounter this often, too.

It occurred to me that 5 VDC regulated wall-warts are ubiquitous, and the safe ones are galvanically isolated. To avoid the ground loop via USB ground, an USB isolator chip like Analog Devices ADuM3160 (datasheet) can be used to galvanically isolate the Teensy from the USB bus. A 3.3 VDC low drop-out voltage regulator (like Microchip MCP1726; datasheet) can be used for 3.3 V peripherals, ADuM3160 (although slightly different wiring compared to below), and the Teensy itself.

In my case, Teensy will be the only one using 3.3 V, so I'm looking at using a buck-boost DC-DC regulator like Texas Instruments TPS63061 (datasheet) that can take a DC voltage between 2.5 V and 12 V, and provide a nicely regulated 5V supply and enough current (1.4 A, if the wall-wart supplies enough current) to power the Teensy, USB isolator, and peripherals (like SN75160 and SN75162 GPIB/IEEE-488 transceivers in my case).

Unfortunately, my EE-fu is weak. I have checked the suggested/typical use circuits, and the resulting schematic looks suspiciously simple to me. Here, I've fixed the ADuM3160 for full-speed operation (12Mbit/s), and supply Teensy with 5V using the USB connector. Although I won't be using it, I've included the 3.3V regulator (MCP1726) in the upper right corner.
isolated.png
As I mentioned, for 3.3V only operation, the TPS63061 can be left out, but then the ADuM3160 should be wired slightly differently, as indicated in the datasheet. Remember: the above circuit assumes the USB power is supplied by a galvanically isolated supply.

My intention is to put this onto a small additional board. I'd prefer to cannibalize a USB-to-micro-USB cable, so that I could use the last 1" or so to connect the board to the Teensy (allowing for easy inclusion within different enclosure types), and use the rest as a built-in USB cable to the computer -- thus, just through-holes for the wires, no connectors on board.

Since something like this is so often needed, I'm certain I'm not the only one looking at such a circuit.

Could you (anyone?) help with the design of such a board? If you have experience with ADuM3160, could you check if I've missed anything obvious in the schematic above?

(I've omitted the ADuM3160 datasheet suggestions for actual capacitor, inductor, and resistor types. Also, it might be very useful to have two variants of the board, the other with just 3.3V needed -- avoiding the expensive buck-boost converter, using just a 3.3V LDO regulator instead.)

The above can be the starting point. I'm happy with any open/free license for such a design. This is very specific to Teensy, and the use case is a bit weird, because end-users must be told to use specific USB wall warts for power supply (as opposed to, say, connecting a second USB from the computer). It might actually make sense to use a DC21 or DC25 power jack for the 5V input DC power, instead of a micro-USB connector (upper left corner of the schematic).

Comments? Suggestions?

Here's a better version, with selectable 3.3V/5.0V VBUS, so that either one can be omitted. The "switch" would probably be a 2×3 jumper block; I'm hoping the final board would allow not populating one of them (MCP1727 or TPS63061) if not needed.

Can anyone see any glaring errors?

version-2.jpg

(Edited to add accidentally omitted caps from the TPS63061.)

The circuits around ADuM3160, MCP1727, and TPS63061 are basically straight out of their respective datasheets.

To repeat, this isolates Teensy from the USB bus, but assumes that the +5 VDC, -0 VDC input is galvanically isolated (Teensy GND is -0 VDC, so -0 VDC better not be grounded to anywhere else, or the circuit is useless).

Last edited:
Adafruit option

I came across the same issue last year. My solution was to use an adafruit usb isolator module. Works great! It does Dc-Dc conversion/isolation AND usb isolation all in one fell swoop.
Note - this module comes wired for 5V logic operation and MUST be modified with 2 easy steps to make it 3.3V logic compatible. Other note - the dc-dc converter gets quite hot past ~ 150 mA of current (not suitable for any higher powered operation). Still, probably simpler than building a custom usb isolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back