USB-MIDI freezing with El Capitan

nicolas_soundforce

Hi,

I have experienced problems using a teensy LC-based MIDI controller I am building.

As soon as the OS (El Capitan) is fully booted, the teensy seems to be frozen, no reaction to inputs or outputs whatsoever.
But just when it gets power from the computer before El Capitan is fully booted (Mac splash screen), everything seems to work fine.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

ok, more news. my client having the problem reported still having issues in EL Capitan but the device was working fine on windows.

I connected remotely and installed ARduino+ Teensyduino 1.26 and reuploaded the firmware on his computer. and the problem was solved, so it seems that Teensyduino 1.26 is the fix!

ok, more news. my client having the problem reported still having issues in EL Capitan but the device was working fine on windows.

I connected remotely and installed ARduino+ Teensyduino 1.26 and reuploaded the firmware on his computer. and the problem was solved, so it seems that Teensyduino 1.26 is the fix!

I have a report from a user with a similar situation (USB-MIDI, Teensy 3.1 on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.2)
I had them trace the USB enumeration using USB Prober and the device is not enumerated correctly, it is missing endpoints and some values are incorrect. The same device is working on an older Mac. The Teensy MCU locks up completely after the USB enumeration.

I will be trying to recreate the issue on my El Capitan machine.

Teensyduino 1.26 did indeed fix a USB bug affecting El Capitan.

Before you spend lots of time chasing after an issue, make sure your Teensy has been programmed by Teensyduino 1.26 or 1.27. If it was programmed by any prior version, you almost certainly are seeing the results of this known (and now solved) problem.

Teensyduino 1.26 did indeed fix a USB bug affecting El Capitan.

Before you spend lots of time chasing after an issue, make sure your Teensy has been programmed by Teensyduino 1.26 or 1.27. If it was programmed by any prior version, you almost certainly are seeing the results of this known (and now solved) problem.

Thanks Paul, I use NetBeans and a makefile directly with Teensy loader and the files from an (older) Teensyduino install. If you have a memory of where/what the fix was, it would help, I will try and dissect a newer install in the meantime.

EDIT: I see the other threads on the El Capitan fix now, looking at the git repo, it looks like the changes are centered around usb_serial and usb_dev

EDIT2: OK, I updated the cores/teensy3 directory and it seems to be working on El Capitan now. I could get the previous version to lock up when performing a "Rescan MIDI" in the Mac Audio MIDI utility. The Teensy would lock up completely.
Thanks Paul!

Last edited:
Back