How to hook up the DAC port to a mono speaker

MichaelMeissner

Senior Member+
I just setup the audio adapter with speakers, and it works. However, at times, I would want a much smaller footprint. I know the audio library mentions that you can do mono output via the DAC, but the audio library page says "TODO: photo of Teensy 3.1 with 10µF capacitor and 3.5mm jack.". http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/gui/?info=AudioOutputAnalog

It would be helpful there was a diagram or photo of all of the parts necessary to use the DAC for mono output (either to a mono amp/speaker, or possibly something like a piezo that might not need an amp).

I recall that Paul mentioned there was a new adapter coming for doing things like props with some sound support, and if it is coming soon, it would be useful if the documentation for this adapter could show all of the parts that are needed and how to wire it up.

Yes, I was hoping the prop shield would be coming shortly.

And Paul, even without the Prop shield being released, it would be nice if we could get a parts list, schematic and picture of how to make a small speaker for the DAC port, where you just want a reasonable mono sound that would be perfect for a small enclosure, but you don't need perfect high fidelity (where the audio shield is more useful).

Last edited:
Yes, I was hoping the prop shield would be coming shortly.

And Paul, even without the Prop shield being released, it would be nice if we could get a parts list, schematic and picture of how to make a small speaker for the DAC port, where you just want a reasonable mono sound that would be perfect for a small enclosure, but you don't need perfect high fidelity (where the audio shield is more useful).

Has there been any progress on this? I have been trying several sample amp circuits but my audio experience is not that great. Sounds like I am over driving the amp.

Back