will this be a milestone change in embedded tinkering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting to me that schools (like the one our kids are attending) are hot to trot on exposing kids as early as possible to computers. I have no interest in doing so... unless it's in an educational context and there the Teensy is a better option than the RPi series. If the idea is for the kids to learn how to program, you're better off with a nice general-purpose CPU with a good IDE that allows the kid to understand where things are going right vs. wrong.

A RPI is a step up (graduation present?) for kids who have mastered a MCU like the Teensy - thinking through the complexities of a multi-tasking OS, etc.

That said, if the idea is to put something on the web, a RPI will make that job potentially much easier than a Teensy-like MCU.

But.. We're talking about young kids - 6th grade or so. The embedded microprocessors like teensy, IMO, come well after they have under-the-hood experience using things like RPi and Python and so on. C/C++ is too cryptic for the first experience in programming. And likely, only maturing kids with the interest and temperament for nitty-gritty tools like C/C++ should dabble in embedded micros; else they'll get frustrated and lose interest.

For decades, secondary education computer exposure started with an unprepared math teacher and spaghetti-code BASIC. For kids that continue to science and computers, they had to unlearn some very imprinted bad habits learned from use of unstructured BASIC. Seems to me that graphical programming (on most any Linux thing) with tools like "Scratch" for the very young, and Python and its many libraries, is a better path than spaghetti-BASIC.

I served on a committee for my brother-in-law (principal) introduction of computers - way back. The math dept. head in middle school had drunk the Radio Shack kool-aid (small-world thinking). I was invited as an "expert" in the field for the committee on computer introduction. I pushed for PCs because that's what the students will need in business and science. This was before Apple's give-aways to schools. I was amazed at how uninformed the school's staff was on computers - beyond turn-on, use email and MS office.

I haven't been involved at all in this world in a long time. No doubt, there are some good teaching aid software tools now that run on Windows and OS X, as the first under-the-hood experience for young students. The RPi and its peers wouldn't do well against such tools. But there are developing nations with funding issues where the pace is slower and students are eager to learn rather than fart with social networking apps.

In many places in the world, the $5 RPi Zero will turn heads.

Last edited:
My wife at a local library got SparkFun kits (and laptops) and had local teens come in (they usually show up for pizza day) and they enjoyed it a few hours a couple of sessions and did well. At least one kid had his own project underway before showing up. Arduino/Redboard is good for that - manageable size and header sockets - other than perhaps the Tiny size we like - Teensy could do that too. Through this my wife found Arduino for me - I got up to speed to back her up - she then got the Redboard kits and did the program alone with kids going through their book.

For younger kids the month before she did 'squishy circuits' where she made colored dough with and without salt to make circuits to light LED's and make buzzers sound. They were very artful with the clay and got a good lesson.

I got my TRS-80 in high school - learned BASIC - got a CS degree - and as my "Job#1" I programmed an interface to a Penicillin powder filling machine in 64K interpreted BASIC. 6 years later I was enjoying a job on the other side of the country writing code to install an OS for millions and the next few years on my moniker code for 10's of millions more - that spaghetti code served me well.

What is really sad is all the computers in schools now and they are taught browser usage - blogging and game play it seems - i.e. NOT "an educational context".

Raspberry Pi would probably not have been something my wife would have enjoyed as much nor gotten as far with the kids - versus the ready to run Arduino IDE. She did her MLIS online and the 'intro programming' prof blew through the unix shell and coding stuff way too fast and too poorly for her to catch without my backup - that was dangerous and irresponsible on his part and his grading and scoring was to an arbitrary high standard beyond anything he 'taught' with poor feedback - but like always she still got an "A".

I saw this 21_Dec note that Raspberry Pi's are now being stuck in server cabinets and other places to monitor and provide headless access without having to reserve/buy a whole space in the 'rack' or put in a whole computer. That is certainly a useful tool for many purposes. if I can get a rPi_Zero someday I might even try it.

stevech: indeed my high school got TRS-80's after I did and I never spent time in that lab (run by the guy that couldn't teach me Geometry) - I was self started. My two new 11th grade best friends did award winning International Science Fair wonders with theirs in 1980 - one did neural simulations (now a CS PHD Prof) - the other put a lens to focus light on an exposed memory chip to make a camera for his TRS-80 robot - still doing work like he did in H.S before his E.E. degree. These two were also self taught and never spent time in the high school lab. Sometimes it is the tools - sometimes the individuals - but with NO EXPOSURE there is no chance. Me - I'm just a BUM who worked 13 years out of college and been on vacation for 17 years - this is my Second Life.

If PJRC made a UNO/DUE sized/style unit - even off the LC - with the support of Arduino it would be more kid/cost friendly and a world above the UNO with Teensy support the DUE never saw and room to grow. Neural simulations would not have run all night and the robot would not have been so limited and bigger than a breadbox needing AC power.

I got the zero the last time Adafruit had some stock, but I haven't yet even tried to install an OS yet. I have a pine64 also coming in a month or two (though with the pine64, I discovered the Linux support is still in its infancy, and I sort of wish I had waited until after the kickstarter campaign). The Linux SBC's (single board computer) have their place, but I don't view them as the platform for doing embedded type stuff.

I got the zero the last time Adafruit had some stock, but I haven't yet even tried to install an OS yet. I have a pine64 also coming in a month or two (though with the pine64, I discovered the Linux support is still in its infancy, and I sort of wish I had waited until after the kickstarter campaign). The Linux SBC's (single board computer) have their place, but I don't view them as the platform for doing embedded type stuff.

Yes, i think the same.
Some disadvantages are booting, shutdown, no realtime, power consumption ...

On my first Zero, I took the 8GB SD card from my Pi 2 and cloned it to a blank 8GB. Then to my amazement, that cloned SD booted in the Zero. That saved me a couple of hours recreating the SMB settings, VNC server, etc.
WiFi dongle: I tried the "recommended" one and it was poop. An $8 Buffalo brand 11n worked first try. (I ran ethernet before WiFi).

It's amazing what the Pi can do. Certainly not blazing audio processing. I have XBee Series 1 on the RPi's GPIO using a plug-in board. And the remote MCU-less XBees do a lot of modest analog/digital data acquisition and GPIO output control per commands from Python code on the Zero that talks to its XBee. The Xbee's firmware is great for low rate stuff- like home automation, etc. Where the remote nodes don't need more than the XBee's firmware already does (A/D, DIO, bit on/off, bit change reporting, A/D samples packed in one packet and a packet every 20mSec. All the comms is plug and play (802.15.4). No slaving over protocols or drivers.

In this avocational fiddling, I'm experimenting with doing a non-trivial system with no C/C++ code. Just Linux Python and use all the data I/O features in the XBee S1 firmware. I crank C all day long and when fiddling, it's nice to play with a high level language with more results per hour of work. I can develop on a PC with Python (2) and then move it to the Zero, and no changes to code, use same Python and libraries. Moving code is trivial... the RPi Zero et al mount a share on the LAN. Super platform independence (windows vs. Linux).

Last edited:
I had not ever ordered from Adafruit - had a few things in a basket forever - put in a Dotstar strip and $5 Pi Zero and $13 shipping and it'll be here.

Pi Zero is lower power and it seems it runs MQTT and stuff easily enough to use with ESP8266.

When I started this post there were still 40 Pi Zero's - got a 20 minute phone call and it is now 13 left - opps I browsed somewhere else 5 minutes all gone in 30 minutes.

Defragster, when I ordered my zero in late December when I noticed they were in stock. As I was filling my card, I noticed the stock levels dropping, and quickly made my purchase. I had hoped that if you put it in your cart, that it would be reserved for a small amount of time, so you can fill out the credit card, etc. I asked them about it, and they said (as you discovered) that stuff in the cart is not reserved until you pay for it: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86658.

@MM - I did get checked out with the Zero - I was rushing to go get a pizza and meet a lawyer to see if his flash drive was really dead - it seems to be . . . two ports on each of 3 computers and they all hate it.

Anyhow I rushed out my order at 3:44 and I got one in P#55 - not sure what else was - or should have been - in my cart - I wanted to get some Dotstars and the Pi Zero just made me get out my card. When I put mine in the cart they weren't showing quantities just ' In Stock' - after I got home is when I saw 40 at 5:10 - so I had plenty of buffer - was 5:44 when they were all gone. The new Pi_3 was out of stock again or I might have gotten one of those . . .

Anyhow - the expensive part of the Pi Zero is getting all the stuff I'll NEED to plug it in: OTG Hub, mini HDMI to VGA to use an old display, WiFi USB . . .

I setup using my PC's HDMI monitor.
Setup VNC server on the RPi 2, RPi Zero.
Then unplug the monitor/keyboard, etc.
Config a DHCP reservation in my router so I know the LAN IP for the new RPi.

Then I use VNC client on my desktop PC to access the X windows desktop on the RPi.
And/or SSH login - but usually the VNC link.
I setup SMN so RPi can see my "RPi" share on the LAN (from NAS). Do coding, editing, testing on the PC. Then the RPi picks up the code (e.g., Python) via the LAN. No risk of loss using the SD card for files.

I setup using my PC's HDMI monitor. . . .

Thanks Steve for the pile of TLA's - will have to get that set up - though I thought the $8 VGA adapter to plug the Pi Zero into a 22" glass tube would be fun.

Well thanks to my solder paste and time with Teensy stuff - I have recovered the USB files from above mentioned flash drive that 'seemed suddenly dead', he didn't mention it was hit hard enough to lift the pads/traces off the PCB. And it wasn't backed up - too private to risk having it on a computer to be stolen he said - and yet too important to lose:
fflash.png

Lucky to have you as his friend. I could make all sorts of jokes re the likely content of that drive but I'll just see myself out....

Lucky to have you as his friend. I could make all sorts of jokes re the likely content of that drive but I'll just see myself out....

:cool: He's a pretty 'boring' very nice and interesting guy (used to be an accountant - but flies planes as a hobby) - some music and a collection of DOCS that contain who knows what secrets of the universe. He doesn't trust himself to have two copies - and now I have 5, and I'll burn him another on a new flash drive before I delete my HDD copies.

Today's interesting story was about the value of a human life, about $40 : hitman was paid $20 each up front to kidnap/execute two guys in the Philippines in the 90's - after the first guy the gun jammed so he dropped the .45 and ran away. He only gets another $20 when the pictures are in the paper. This left the 2nd victim alive and the hit man got 20 years in jail - for $60. The surviving victim was a client who pissed off the wrong people. The moral(s) of the story: Use a revolver. And don't rat out the guys who paid you, then they take care of your family while doing the time.

I hope your friend knows about encryption and the value thereof if he's carrying the stuff around. If you do encryption right, he can save spare copies of his vault to his desktop without worry, just for backup purposes.

My Pi Zero got here - my first LINUX MACHINE - up and running. I expect more powerful than the SHARED (larger than a PC in a cold room) DEC box I used in college in 1984. Got NOOBS onto a 16MB Flash, powered right up and ran setup no issues. Using an EDIMAX WiFi adapter from Amazon worked from boot. I ran update and upgrade no problem.

Does the NOOBS represent a good and fully usable distribution of Debian GNU/Linux with LXDE desktop?

Learing about SUDO and spent an hour wondering why my tightVNC session started on a blank screen - finally found it needed that to share the LXDE desktop:
sudo vncserver :1 -geometry 1280x800 -depth 16 -pixelformat rgb565:

I got an HDMI Mini adapter and a USB OTG insert adapter (goes into std Male USB and comes out micro USB) ( so now with WiFi I invested $25 to support my $5 PI ) to plug it into a HUB. Now headless I don't need the HDMI adapter.

Very Cool! I'll make it a Mosquitto/BLYNK server or something to locally serve my ESP's.

<edit>: Constantin - He does know about encryption - now. I put Win10PRO and BitLocker on his new computer. The flash drives stay at home - But I told him that I could do BitLocker on them for him too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back