Question about hex files, IC compatabilities and programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenoamor

Hi guy!

We've been working with the Teensy 3.x closely now for a while now (100+ units 0.0) And have got to the stage now where we feel we've created something that is nearing a commercial launch.
Due to size and cost considerations we can't afford to put a teensy in every unit. Of course that doesn't mean we're even close to stopping to using them for development though ;)

So I have a few questions,
1) Is the hex file produced by the arduino enviroment 100% ready for the MK20DX256VLH to be uploaded with a programmer. I'm pretty certain it is but it would be nice to have some confirmation!
2) Can someone point me in the direction of a programmer. I'm thinking a J-Link would be a good choice
3) Is the hex file compatabile with the smaller MK20DX128VLH7 and MK20DX64VLH7 MCUs?

3) Is the hex file compatabile with the smaller MK20DX128VLH7 and MK20DX64VLH7 MCUs?

I don't know but would like to since I need to reduce the footprint of my custom Teensy design.

I can guess the answer might be yes but it remains to be demonstrated.

They have different Memorysizes, so the short answer is "no", not without changes.
The linker-files need some adjustments.

Okay cheers guys. I'm strongly considering moving away from the Teensyduino enviroment for this. I'm sticking with this family of chips though as I know they can be massively overclocked which'll save me some cost.

I'm going to go with the J-Link and hope it works. No other way to really test without trying it. Not sure if I need pullup/down resistors so I'll just leave space for them on the PCB

EDIT - Actually the pullups/downs are internal. So no need for externals

Last edited:
1) Is the hex file produced by the arduino enviroment 100% ready for the MK20DX256VLH to be uploaded with a programmer.

Yes, the .hex file can be used on a bare chip, if you have a programmer that can write it.

However, if your code ever calls _reboot_Teensyduino_(), or if the USB reboot request is ever received which causes the USB code to call that function, obviously the bootloader can't run if the MKL02 chip is missing. Your chip will run the debug exception handler, which will effectively stop your program.

You may wish to edit usb_dev() to remove calls to that function.

You might also consider editing usb_desc.h to customize the USB identification with your own name and VID/PID numbers.

2) Can someone point me in the direction of a programmer. I'm thinking a J-Link would be a good choice

http://www.pemicro.com/

No, definitely not compatible.

Appreciated Paul!

I've designed a PCB up and have it on order now. It's pretty hard to tell what to do with the JTAG pins. I can't find what needs pulls and doesn't in the datasheet very easily. I've trawled the Kinetis forums though and think I have it all.

I won't be using the USB so I'll be leaving those pins floating. I'll let you know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back