Teensy FSR based MIDI controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, nice stuff. I got something similiar up and running last year:

https://hackaday.io/project/1601-diy-usb-midi-controller-mpc-style

It does not have aftertouch and the velocity is quite off, but it worked fairly. I also used home made FSRs, by printing the two conductive fingers on a PCB and putting velostat circles under the rubber pads of an original MPC. This technique allows for very cheap FSRs, the only downside is that you have to cut precise velostat circles to put under the pads, the best would be to have custom-made rubber pads with an embedded velostat layer under every pad (just like the plastic thingies used with the Adafruit Trellis, but with a full circle of conductive material rather than a small circumference).

A mix of this code (velocity and aftertouch) and a mix of mine (multiplexer control) would make for the uber-MIDI controller :D

Wow... your project is totally awesome. making fsrs like that is extremely cool. It does look a bit fiddly, but a 'from scratch' controller .... Just 'wow'.

The mpc pads look like real mpc pads .... I guess you can get them online? And the muxing is just the bees balls. Thanks.

Been playing with your code adrian and got some pretty good results lowering the VELTIME until a stick hitting the FSR would trigger NoteOnSend.
Yay!!!
Nice to see it in action, only tested with 2 FSRs plugged so far, will have to wire more to test the latency.

Now,
how would I go about sending the data from the slave teensys to the master teensy, should I use the Serial ports?

glad to see you getting some results. Serial ports by all means. you could get delve into spi or any of the other bus type protocols supported by teensy ... I'm not familiar with the 'wire' protocols ..but with three serial ports, I'm guessing you can just send bunches of data for processing without going into bussing .... might get a bit laggy though?? I don't know. But I do know that some of the buss protocols are very very fast, but they are a bit more complicated than "Serial write" .... I guess you could use serial midi, but I don't know how that would pan out using three different serial ports ...?? There are commercial midi merge products out there ...

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodqmr.htm

I have no idea how much it is though ... it uses 'real midi hardware ..." It is really easy to set up a teensy as a midi hardware device (i.e. not usb) ... there is a page on it, somewhere

Have you looked at analog muxes?? I think Paul Stoffregen suggested that earlier ... that could cut down on the amount of bussing / merging.

EDIT: if you are interested in stick hits only, then aftertouch is going to be irrelevant, and the code can be considerably simplified.... meaning you will have more headroom to do more samples and thus more fsrs quicker!!! although I doubt the aftertouch function is being called with just a stick hit ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back