OSCuino & Wiz820io beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bLackburst

Hi everyone.
I'm new to all of this and would appreciate some help getting an OSC project off the ground.
I have a Teensy 3.2, Wiz820io and want to connect some sensors (IR range finder, some buttons etc) and output them as OSC over ethernet.
I'm still unclear on some things:

1. Do I need any external/3rd party libraries to drive the wiznet or will the standard ethernet library work? What about with a standard arduino uno and Arduino 1.6.6? I see there are alternative wiznet libraries around for w5200 but very few people mentioning their use.

2. My teensy arrives this afternoon (hopefully) so in the meantime I loaded the UNO with standard oscuino examples and had blinky lights but couldn't see any OSC output. I'm trying to receive the OSC in touch designer but can't see anything, what are good software tools for monitoring/diagnosing OSC over udp?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could provide me with some example code and hardware configurations that are known to work.
Thanks a lot.

I'm interested in this too... what is 'touch designer' ... I looked up 'oscuino' and it seems like dabomb.... I don't know if anyone has worked with it on the forum with a teensy ...i sure hope so ... it says it will work with teensy on the home page ...

As for your question about the ethernet library for the Wiz820i0, I think you are right about that ... its just the standard library (I used google, I've never used ethernet on a teensy YET) ...

Oscuino has really good udp examples, and on the assumption that oscuino can be used directly on teensy (I wonder about some of the analogRead examples .... hopefully they are 'Port independent, since i think arduino port registers are different from teensy ..) ......MAN this is exciting.

I use reaper DAW and it has a very good OSC implementation, I understand. I wonder if oscuino can be used with bluetooth? Have to have a look at that. probably should be OK, given that oscuino has a serial output mode... very exciting.

I'm supposed to be doing a new guitar track, and then in my mind I was going to look at convolution (after I finish a fsr drum machine) ....i wonder how I am going to do any work at the day job...

Last edited:
Also, there is oscii-bot from cockos (the makers of reaper) ...that looks like it will allow you to see, on a windows computer (and some macs), osc messages sent using udp ...

it looks like you might have to script an output display program, but it doesn't look that hard if you do (I haven't used it, I just looked it up now that you have piqued my interest ..)

1. Do I need any external/3rd party libraries to drive the wiznet or will the standard ethernet library work?

Ethernet from Teensyduino supports W5100 and W5200. It automatically detects which chip you've used.

For W5200, the reset signal must be connected to pin 9, and chip select to pin 10. This adaptor board is recommended.

W5200 is significantly faster for UDP.

What about with a standard arduino uno and Arduino 1.6.6? I see there are alternative wiznet libraries around for w5200 but very few people mentioning their use.

Arduino's Ethernet lib only works with W5100.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I've given up using the W5200 with the UNO, but the standard 5100 shield works, courier seems to have misplaced my teensy :( Look forward to it, though I'm amazed there isn't an easy solution with the arduino in the meanwhile. I guess that's why we've gone with the better product :)

The udposcuino example intrigues me. Am I right in saying that it facilitates the remote changing of pin modes as well as reading them, ala firmata? As that's what I'm after.
Does anyone know of a working example with bonjour like in Headroom's post? What a great way to make it user friendly.

I can help with both and post some code if not today then definitely this week.

This video shows what you can do with Analog Reads and Wrirtes etc. It's not a video I made but it is from Yotam Man, one of the original creators of the Oscuino library. I salvaged the code from Yotam's website before Oscuino was hosted on Github and re-wrote large parts of the scriupt to make it work with Teensy and TouchOSC.

This sketch was also tested with Bonjour through a min WiFi router and it works very nicely.

I apologize for the delay. Unfortunately it'll take a little longer ;-)
Since Arduino 1.6.6 the official Ethernet library includes multicastUDP, which is needed for Bonjour to work. I am in process of upgrading the EthernetBonjour library to work with Arduino 1.6.6 and while it should be very easy I have come across a coding problem that eludes me at the moment. I'll come back once I've figured it out ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back