DIY-Thermocam: A self-assemble low-cost thermal imager based on the Teensy !

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxbot

[T3.6] DIY-Thermocam V2 - Do-it-yourself thermal imager

DIY-Thermocam V2

A do-it-yourself thermal imager based on the Teensy 3.6

DIY-Thermocam.png

After some time of research I want to share with you my latest project called "DIY-Thermocam".

The DIY-Thermocam V2 is a do-it-yourself, low-cost thermographic camera based upon the Teensy 3.6 mikrocontroller. It uses the brand-new Lepton3 sensor from FLIR with a raw resolution of 160x120 to provide high quality thermal images.

The aim of this project is to offer a cheap, open-source thermal plattform for private persons, educational institutes or small companies. There are various applications like finding heat leaks in the insulation of buildings including windows, *the analysis of electric components, as well as exploring at night.

The large firmware written in Arduino compatible C++ code can be used as it is or modified / extended to your own needs. That allows the DIY-Thermocam to be used as a versatile basis for various, different thermal applications.

For more information about the project, check out the website:

www.diy-thermocam.net

Last edited:
I'm impressed that you went down the path of a quicker route to market by using off the shelf modules on a motherboard PCB rather than a custom PCB straightaway:
1449347799.jpg

This means you've got an obvious area for optimisation and cost-cutting in your next version (though I understand the FLIR sensor to be the biggest cost). I like your clean website too; easy to find all of the relevant information.

I'm impressed that you went down the path of a quicker route to market by using off the shelf modules on a motherboard PCB rather than a custom PCB straightaway:
View attachment 5668

This means you've got an obvious area for optimisation and cost-cutting in your next version (though I understand the FLIR sensor to be the biggest cost). I like your clean website too; easy to find all of the relevant information.

Right ! I am doing this as a hobby besidy my studies, so I was searching for a way to offer such a complex product to final customers without the need of expensive tools or a company that does a complex custom PCB for me.

Of course you could save some money by including all those modules (including the Teensy) into an all-in-one PCB, but that will kill my knowledge and cost frame at the moment. So my way will be to give people access to this Kit right now, and maybe, if many people are interested and I can cover my own costs, I will take the next step and let a company do a new PCB.

Very cool! I'm considering ordering, but I know it'll sit on a shelf for awhile until I have time to use it. If one pre-orders, what's the expected delivery?

Very cool! I'm considering ordering, but I know it'll sit on a shelf for awhile until I have time to use it. If one pre-orders, what's the expected delivery?

Thanks ! I ordered all the components for the first 25 kits this week, they should be here before X-Mas. I will then need another week to pack the kits, create the step-by-step manuals and test the units. So expect the delivery at the end of December ;)

Last edited:
Has anyone ever used or had experience with DIY thermal imaging systems like the ones FLIR or ATN make for hunting or night time identification? Seems like it could give you a huge edge on spotting deer and other animals way before you would normally see them. I don't have any experience with FLIR products, but dumping $3K on a high end nightvision system is not my priority right now. Thanks.

Has anyone ever used or had experience with DIY thermal imaging systems like the ones FLIR or ATN make for hunting or night time identification? Seems like it could give you a huge edge on spotting deer and other animals way before you would normally see them. I don't have any experience with FLIR products, but dumping $3K on a high end nightvision system is not my priority right now. Thanks.

Haven't tried those FLIR products so far, but you could also use the DIY-Thermocam for that. Turn it into Hot-Mode where it only marks objects above a certain level with red, the rest will be displayed in grayscale. Then set the level to the skin temperature of the animal you want to detect and put the camera on a tripod. Whenever an animal comes into the region, it will be highlighted, so you can easily detect it.

I updated the website today with a lot of new information.
It's now also possible to buy single components, either from me or an external distributor near you. That enables you to choose what parts you want to buy, and from what source.
In addition, I added the schematic and the enclosure design files (for 2D laser cutting or 3D printing) to the download section. So if you want to make your own nice case or your own board, you can do that easily !
Check out the new store concept: http://www.diy-thermocam.net/store/

The DIY-Thermocam V2 has been released!

It uses the increased RAM of the Teensy 3.6 to render HQ thermal images on-device.

The project has moved to Github.

You can now make your own DIY-Thermocam V2 by purchasing the components on the list on your own. Everything is open-source, including the gerber files for the PCB, the protocol, the firmware itself (written in Arduino compatible code!).

Hope you like it and I would be happy to receive your feedback :)

I recently purchased the kit from Groupgets. Unfortunately Groupgets has decided that they will no longer source this kit.

A few things I noticed.

The slider switch (top switch RHS) is mounted on the inside of the panel. I assumed that it should go in from the outside and filed the hole in the case to make it bigger. A lot of work for nothing as it is now installed from the inside.

I think the battery that was initially specified had a connector on it. The battery I purchased did not have a connector. After a few false starts I used the connector 02KR-6H-P, and stuffing the wire from the battery into the connector with a small screwdriver. This is work well on my camera. If you scroll down to the mating connectors part of the page https://www.digikey.com/product-det...ica-inc/S2B-PH-K-S(LF)(SN)/455-1719-ND/926626 you will find reference to this connector.

Another possibility is with a cable assembly that digikey sells. This is found at https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=ASPHSPH24K305. These are premade and good for 3 Amps. Use this together with the PHR-2 (referenced from the mating connector area of the above page). The leads from the battery can be unsoldered and the cable assembly can be cut to the appropriate length and one end soldered to the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back