ESP8266 Teensy add-on

Status
Not open for further replies.

onehorse

It's taken me quite a while but I am finally ready to make available the first version of an ESP8266 add-on intended to mount directly onto the Teensy 3.x, use the Serial1 port to talk with the ESP8266 and allow the Teensy 3.X to gain some connectivity in a still-small form factor and at a reasonable price. Here is what the new board looks like:

ESP8266.front1.jpgESP8266.back2.jpg

It breaks out all the pins except for ESP8255 pin 5, the VDD_RTC pin (not sure what this one does). In addition to allowing the Teensy to communicate wirelessly, the ESP8266 can be configured to provide an extra SPI port which some clever person will figure out how to make use of. I have loaded the SPI Flash with the most basic of firmware which allows me to verify that the AT commands can be used, the wifi reception is adequate, etc. but the firmware shouldlreally be changed ot the most modern version. And now that I am using 8 Mbit SPI flash, there should be no limitation on using the very latest frimware versions, including those that allow update over the air. I am by no means an ESP8266 expert having just barely got the hardware figured out; I have invested almost no time in figuring out how to use this device, but i will start now that I have this board working. Here is how I mounted my prototype:

ESP8266mounted2.jpg

It's kind of clunky I admit. I had to do it this way to allow the 500 mA LDO to take its power input directly from VIN on the Teensy 3.1. On the Teensy 3.2, I can simply use the native 3V3 (I hope, the ESP8266 is a power hog) so I will design a second version that sits on the non-usb end of the Teensy 3.2 with the antenna sticking out the "front". I am even experimenting with replacing the pcb antenna with a wire simply soldered to a solder pad. If this would provide a good enough signal, this would allow more compact applications.

Anyway, I am selling these on Tindie and I hope to learn from all of you how best to make use of this device for Teensy-based applications.

Yes, it is just taking me a while to restock. Should have some more in a wekk or so. I also have an nRF52 add-on now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back