Teensy 3.2 as a WiFi webserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

XFer

Hello,

I worked on a custom Arduino-like platform to implement a sensor logger, with the resulting CSV file accessible via a static web page (the node is connected via WiFi using an ESP8266 module).

Now, I'd love to move that project on Teensy 3.2.

What prevents me to step over: for that custom Arduino-like platform, the manifacturer provides a library of easy to use and useful classes to manage the WiFi module and the webserver; I don't have to deal with ESP8266 myself.
Simple methods like "setWiFi(DHCP_MODE, AUTH_TYPE, ssid, pwd)" and "setRootPage("/index.htm")" are quick and easy to use.

From what I've gathered, there are no Teensy libraries to easy manage the WiFi module / WiFi connection and a simple static webserver (though I suppose I may use TinyWebServer for that).
I found a few oldish threads about trying to get the ESP8266 playing nice with Teensy, but my general impression was "early development phase".

Am I right, in that there is no easy-to-use WiFi library?
By the way I'm not tied to the 8266: if another WiFi module is supported on Teensy 3.2, I'd buy it. :)

Thanks a lot

Fernando

Do you know how the Arduino talked to the ESP8266 (SPI, serial, etc.)?

What's the name of the library? If the library uses something simple like serial to talk to the WiFi module then it's possible the library will work on the Teensy with little to no modification.

The library is a custom library from the manifacturer: "Fishino.h".
It supports all (custom) board functions: it includes not only WiFi-related classes, but other stuff as well.
On that board, the ESP8266 module talks to the AVR via SPI, not serial.
From what I've seen, it would not be easy to have that library working on the Teensy.
I guess I'll have to wait for someone more skilled than me to write a Teensy library for the ESP (if ever). :)

Last edited:
The ESP8266 module I designed breaks out the pins that can be configured as an SPI port on the ESP8266 and could be wired to mate to the Teensy SPI port to support this function. It was designed to use the Serial1 port but the SPI port ought to work too, it just won't look as pretty. If this is a useful way to interface to the Teensy, it would be straightforward to design an ESP8266 breakout that matched the Teensy Hardware SPI port.

@XFer: I don't see any newer posts - did you ever get anywhere with this or move on from ESP8266? I just powered up some ESP units with Arduino IDE and it is working well as a webserver for the little I've done - also takes OTA code updates, and easily gets a working file system for more data area with SPIFFS.

I'll start a thread on forum someday soon - but my working ESP8266 WebServerOTA sample has some details on ArduinoTeensyESP8266/ that got it working for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back