Teensyduino & Arduino 1.6.6 = library confusion

Andre-K

please see this thread: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=366215
You can see the strange way Arduino suggests "updates" - and a workarund that would avoid future problems.

thank you.

Thanks for the link! , I have been wondering about this.

Hopefully they will come with a better solution to this, like maybe an option to turn off library update search. I would hate to have to go through all of the libraries that are installed by Teensyduino and copy these files into them... Obviously maybe in another release of Teensyduino the install would include these library definition files or the like.

Also at times still trying to figure out best way to use some of these libraries. Example Suppose I wish to use the Adafruit Neopixel library. Teensyduino installs a version which has been updated to include support for the LC. But I also need/want this library for other non-Teensy boards like the Adafruit Trinket Pro. So that implies I need two copies of each of these libraries...

KurtE: My solution is to have two directories, one that contains the common files, and the other that contains the non-teensy libraries that teensydunio provides, and I have a perl script that rebuilds ~/Arduino (under Linux) to include the libraries or not.

I also have separate directories for the ~/.arduino15 link as well, but right now, I have to manually change the symlink. One directory is arduino-1.6.5, which includes a-star/digistamp/squarewear support, one is the arduino-1.6.6 which does not include those support libraries (since they haven't been upgraded for 1.6.6) and a third for Teensy. At the moment, I use arduino-1.6.5 with Teensy.

Teensyduino installs libraries into hardware/teensy/avr/libraries. Most of those don't (yet) have library.properties.

Arduino 1.6.7 is likely to release this week, which means another Teensyduino update. If anyone has any (reasonable) suggestions for what I ought to do to make Teensy coexist better with all the other boards, please speak up!

Teensyduino installs libraries into hardware/teensy/avr/libraries. Most of those don't (yet) have library.properties.

Arduino 1.6.7 is likely to release this week, which means another Teensyduino update. If anyone has any (reasonable) suggestions for what I ought to do to make Teensy coexist better with all the other boards, please speak up!
Looks like 1.6.7 was released today!

As for suggestions, difficult to give any specific suggestions, especially since much of the topic has been discussed before. Things like you have both AVR and ARM libraries under one platform, which I totally understand. I guess the simple question is how/if other AVR hardware platforms should be able to utilize the same libraries. Likewise if they are using some form of version markings, how should these work with multiple different hardware platforms. That is again if Adafruit updates their Adafruit_neopixel library for some some AVR fix and issues a new version, how does that version marking react with your version marking of the library as it relates to ARM processors? Also I wonder if I then tell the Arduino IDE to update the library, where does it install it? (I should probably try it to find out).

I guess a simple question might be, if you are installing a library with Teensyduino, and you can detect that the same or newer library exists (and is compatible) and is visible to the Teensy hardware platform, you don't install the Teensy version. Also again not sure if this makes sense, but if you are installing a library that is the same as a library you can install using the library manager, you potentially install them using (or like) the library manager. But again this may be a whole can of worms!

Back