Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Teensy Logic Analyzer

My Teensy Logic Analyzer

Version 3.2 of a SUMP logic analyzer for the Teensy 3.1/3.2/3.5/3.6 and LC.

It supports 8 channels up to 48 MHz, 250k samples (3.6), 24 MHz, 58k samples (3.2), 8 MHz, 4k samples (LC), with full triggering capability (trigger anywhere in the buffer).

With hardware mode, 2 channels up to 120 MHz for 3.6, 72 MHz for 3.1/3.2, 24 MHz for LC.

Pre-built releases for Windows and Linux.

https://github.com/LAtimes2/TeensyLogicAnalyzer
    Last edited by LAtimes; 09-11-2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Update for V3.2

Following: installation.md [ on windows 10 ]

I got p#1 TeensyLogicAnalyzer code from GitHub and the sketch loaded and compiled and I have the two second heartbeat.

I extracted ◦ols-0.9.7 SP2

Copied [single file] "C:\tCode\LOGIC_SNIFF\TeensyLogicAnalyzer\LogicSni ffer\ols.profile-teensy_96.cfg" to ""C:\tCode\LOGIC_SNIFF\ols-0.9.7.2\plugins\ols.profile-teensy_96.cfg""

Run.bat opens the cmd window and loads theme and then the app starts.

Got stuck as I jumped over this step in #4 : 'Set ... Analyzer port to your Teensy COM port'

NOTE: 'Show device metadata' resets the Device type to Open Bench, must be restored to Teensy.

Setup seems to work as documented! - Pressing CAPTURE

Wired LED pin 13 to pin 2 [chan 0] and [3.3v resistor to LED on GND] from resistor to pin 5 [chan 7] and nothing shows over zero? LED flickers - capture says it finished.

Nothing else to analyze now . . . but it seems a new tool in the works, Thanks

For step 4, if the Teensy is already running, there should be a single COM port in the pulldown for the Analyzer port. There may be a feature in the OLS that you have to set the Device type before selecting Show device metadata.

If you uncomment line 35 of the main file (#define CREATE_TEST_FREQUENCIES), you should get 25 kHz data without having to connect any signals.

Quote Originally Posted by defragster View Post
    Following: installation.md [ on windows 10 ]

I got p#1 TeensyLogicAnalyzer code from GitHub and the sketch loaded and compiled and I have the two second heartbeat.

I extracted ◦ols-0.9.7 SP2

Copied [single file] "C:\tCode\LOGIC_SNIFF\TeensyLogicAnalyzer\LogicSni ffer\ols.profile-teensy_96.cfg" to ""C:\tCode\LOGIC_SNIFF\ols-0.9.7.2\plugins\ols.profile-teensy_96.cfg""

Run.bat opens the cmd window and loads theme and then the app starts.

Got stuck as I jumped over this step in #4 : 'Set ... Analyzer port to your Teensy COM port'

NOTE: 'Show device metadata' resets the Device type to Open Bench, must be restored to Teensy.

Setup seems to work as documented! - Pressing CAPTURE

Wired LED pin 13 to pin 2 [chan 0] and [3.3v resistor to LED on GND] from resistor to pin 5 [chan 7] and nothing shows over zero? LED flickers - capture says it finished.

Nothing else to analyze now . . . but it seems a new tool in the works, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LAtimes View Post
    For step 4, if the Teensy is already running, there should be a single COM port in the pulldown for the Analyzer port. There may be a feature in the OLS that you have to set the Device type before selecting Show device metadata.

If you uncomment line 35 of the main file (#define CREATE_TEST_FREQUENCIES), you should get 25 kHz data without having to connect any signals.
    I got the COM port resolved, but three notes on one line let me miss the middle one at first time.
    4.Make these settings:
    Connection type to Serial port
    Analyzer port to your Teensy COM port
    Port Speed 115200bps (may not matter since USB)
    My note was selecting Teensy - then getting metadata - results in Teensy being unselected if not noticed before leaving. It no longer does this now that I have been here before it seems to have changed the 'default' device.

I uncommented the line 35 #define - On sample not seeing anything but perhaps vertical lines on the extreme ends. With zero bars in between on all channels with T_3.1.

I wired pin 13 to 14 [chan 1] and still a flat line - even though the LED flickers during sample. That should work for you right?

I suppose you know it has a couple dozen warnings on building.

Sorry about these issues. I made a last minute change last night and now it doesn't record consistently. I'll get it fixed tomorrow and put out a new release.

I've glanced through the warnings and nothing of great concern. I'll get them resolved soon.

@LAtimes - no problem - shows great promise - just thought I'd document my walk through of your steps. Other than 'fixes needed' it should be a good tool to have. I've never used one before so have a lot to learn - and now nothing more to buy to have one. Will have to look if there is a way to have the Teensy_MTLA auto Trigger (?) to have the suspect user Teensy set a pin to initiate a capture window.

Based on seeing the LED flicker - pinning #13 to #14 would be a valid self test right?

Just released beta2 version that fixes these issues.

The LED flashes a lot before and after capturing data, but during the capture, the LED is on when looking for a trigger, then off after triggered. If pins 13 and 14 are tied together, channel 1 will be high for one sample at the beginning. If you set up a trigger on channel 1 going high (Mask = 2, Value = 2), channel 1 will be high before the trigger and low one sample after the trigger.

If you compile with CREATE_TEST_FREQUENCIES defined (line 35), you will see signals without having to connect or jumper any pins. Note that pins 5,6,20,21 will become outputs when using test frequencies.

@LAtimes - no problem - shows great promise - just thought I'd document my walk through of your steps. Other than 'fixes needed' it should be a good tool to have. I've never used one before so have a lot to learn - and now nothing more to buy to have one. Will have to look if there is a way to have the Teensy_MTLA auto Trigger (?) to have the suspect user Teensy set a pin to initiate a capture window.

Based on seeing the LED flicker - pinning #13 to #14 would be a valid self test right?

SYNC - COPY and ...
    exit status 1
    could not convert 'setup' from 'sumpSetupVariableStruct' to 'sumpVariableStruct'

This is my first project using github and having to learn about commits, pushes etc.

I added a new file, send_data.ino. Is that in your directory? I got this error when I didn't have it.

SYNC - COPY and ...

Yes, That file is there and adds to the open IDE - that is where it goes with the failure?

It compiles for me. What do you mean by SYNC - COPY?

SYNC - from my GitHub fork - then copy all files from there to my 'run' directory replacing the old files

<edit>
    That is how I got the source files before.

I just cleaned my run directory and did a fresh copy from GitHub and I get the same result.
    Last edited by defragster; 12-21-2015 at 12:20 AM.

I downloaded a zip file from GitHub and put it in a new directory and it compiles. Hmmm ... I'm baffled

Went to GitHub - Pulled the ZIP - extracted - same result . . .

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 10), TD: 1.27-beta1, Board: "Teensy 3.2 / 3.1, Serial, 96 MHz (overclock), US English"

<< REMOVED BOGUS BUILD FEEDBACK >>

^
    exit status 1
    could not convert 'setup' from 'sumpSetupVariableStruct' to 'sumpVariableStruct'
    Last edited by defragster; 12-23-2015 at 08:22 PM.

I was compiling this under IDE 1.6.7 - just opened it under 1.6.6 and it compiles there.

I'm still using 1.6.5. I made a change that might fix it - I had 2 functions called sendData with slightly different pass parameters - it looks like the compiler was using the wrong one. I deleted the old one since it's not used anymore - that may get 1.6.7 to work.

I was compiling this under IDE 1.6.7 - just opened it under 1.6.6 and it compiles there.

I moved sendData() to TeensyLogicAnalyzer from send_data now I get this error:
    exit status 1
    aggregate 'sampleSetupStruct sampleSetup' has incomplete type and cannot be defined
    With that change of moving that function - I get the same error in IDE 1.6.6 ????

I had problems with the incomplete type issue. I may have to solve it the way I did with other projects - create a .h file with all the type definitions. It's due to the way Arduino creates forward declarations.

I'll also update to 1.6.7/1.27 to test it.

I was going to mention that there wasn't a .h file with the common structural stuff

LAtimes - this note from Paul makes a note on the changes relating to compile issues like these: Teensyduino-1-27-Beta-1-Available

Beta 3 released - works under 1.6.7/1.27, adds Teensy LC support.

Compiled without even a warning - and test frequencies are evident when compiled and capture with this line active:
    "#define CREATE_TEST_FREQUENCIES // if uncommented, it will output frequencies on pins 3 and 6"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TLA_b3.PNG 
Views:	244 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	5896

<edit> : Okay compiles with a note that most all RAM is in use.
    Last edited by defragster; 12-23-2015 at 08:24 PM.

LAtimes - LogicAnalyzer in forum use! Just posted in this thread: stirplate-design.

It you wanted to grab the attached sketch you can see if it gives what looks right to you. On screen time labels seemed confused between us and ms - at least I was. Do those values get calculated in OpenBench - or are they provided? Labels may be working in the end - but when I needed it most I wasn't getting the units as I was expecting at times on hover.

It helped me fix the code doing PWM output I never did before. It could show me more I'm sure. Wire from test Teensy pin #5 PWM and #13 LED. The code may not be perfect - I quite when I saw what I wanted working.

Can I get longer sample data run if I remove unused data channels? Just wondering without looking - I got what I needed tonight.

Glad to hear it was useful. Don't have time now to answer all your questions, but will release a new version of the logic analyzer tomorrow with advanced capability - 2 channels at 232k samples. Also up to 24 MHz at 58k samples, 8 channels.

LAtimes - LogicAnalyzer in forum use! Just posted in this thread: stirplate-design.

It you wanted to grab the attached sketch you can see if it gives what looks right to you. On screen time labels seemed confused between us and ms - at least I was. Do those values get calculated in OpenBench - or are they provided? Labels may be working in the end - but when I needed it most I wasn't getting the units as I was expecting at times on hover.

It helped me fix the code doing PWM output I never did before. It could show me more I'm sure. Wire from test Teensy pin #5 PWM and #13 LED. The code may not be perfect - I quite when I saw what I wanted working.

Can I get longer sample data run if I remove unused data channels? Just wondering without looking - I got what I needed tonight.

It was VERY useful - exactly what I needed! Looking forward to the next update.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StirPwmLA2.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	5969