MKL04 Pin Ordering

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecurtz

This is more curiosity than a feature request, but is there some reason for the specific MKL04 pins being used? It almost seems like the order is capriciously chosen to make it annoying to route cleanly and there are a bunch of unused pins. Would it be possible in the future for a few of the signals to be duplicated on multiple pins? Since this chip is only used on DIY custom boards it seems like it should be as user friendly as possible.

This is more curiosity than a feature request, but is there some reason for the specific MKL04 pins being used? It almost seems like the order is capriciously chosen to make it annoying to route cleanly and there are a bunch of unused pins. Would it be possible in the future for a few of the signals to be duplicated on multiple pins? Since this chip is only used on DIY custom boards it seems like it should be as user friendly as possible.

I wonder if the unassigned pins will be in HIGH-Z mode as they are on the MK20. If so, you could theoretically route through them.
The only likely reserved pins are the ones used to program the bootloader chip itself, i.e. the SWD/EZPort/etc. pins that PJRC use to program the MKL04.

I wonder if the unassigned pins will be in HIGH-Z mode as they are on the MK20. If so, you could theoretically route through them.
The only likely reserved pins are the ones used to program the bootloader chip itself, i.e. the SWD/EZPort/etc. pins that PJRC use to program the MKL04.

I actually wondered about that, but from my fairly ignorant viewpoint that seemed worse than losing some analog pins and adding a very short trace on the bottom of the board. Maybe if I finish it and that's the worst hack (unlikely, as I'm a software guy) I'll investigate the possibility of routing through unused pins.

If you do route through the unused pins, try to use only pins 11, 12, 13, 14, 21, 22, 27, 28. These are the pins least likely to ever be used by any future versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back