Any touch screens available without pins pre-installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constantin

Hi everyone!

Happy new year in advance and a question to the collective brain trust out there: I recently purchased two of Paul and Robins touch screens but didn't care at all for the pins that are pre-installed - I wanted to use right-angle ones for a cleaner install. However I tried, the only thing I accomplished trying to remove the old pins was to pull out the plugs and ruin both boards. So... my question to everyone here is: Does anyone sell these touchscreen boards without the pins pre-installed?

A survey of ebay suggests that there is only one supplier for the whole industry using this form factor!

Try Aliexpress. Ive seen them on there as low as $6. Sadly it appears that the headers are always installed.

Pulling pin headers takes patience, sometimes you have to break them loose from each other and heat and pull them one at a time.

Why not use something like this with displays with pins attached. Right Angle Socket Header.jpg
That gets you re-orientation without ruining displays and voiding warranties.

Pulling pin headers takes patience, sometimes you have to break them loose from each other and heat and pull them one at a time.

I tried that... but the pins are so fat and the pin hole rivets they use are so fragile that the rivets pull out every time! Two ruined boards later and I've trown the towel... I think they're using ROHS solder so the melting point is high... then combine that with tight pin holes and fat pins and you end up with a lot of pulling resistance even if the iron is hot, lots of flux used, etc. Very frustrating!

Why not use something like this with displays with pins attached. That gets you re-orientation without ruining displays and voiding warranties.

... yes... but the display will not be co-planar with my PCB like I would like them to be.

Instead, I have to deal with other parts that have to be installed to secure the display (i.e. bolts and tubes as shown in the PJRC store). I've resorted to having OSH park make me a dual 14x1 pin header board ($3) that will take the vertical pin header from the display board and a 90* female header like the one you showed to marry the humidifier board and the display... but that's pretty kludgy.

Ideally, I'd be able to get a display board without the header so I get to choose how to connect it, i.e. vertically, right angle, top or bottom entry, etc. Thank you for the suggestions! Cheers!

Last edited:
You might want to look at dig-ole displays. These displays have a microprocessor attached, so that you can use it via a UART line, i2c, or spi. Communications is at a high level (i.e. to write text, you just add a few prefix and suffix characters in front of the text, and there are primitives for drawing lines and circles). Depending on what you are doing, it may not be as optimized as the unit at the PJRC store, but the communication is simpler, so it may wind up faster. These displays typically don't have pins soldered on them (and you use a solder jumper to choose between UART, i2c, and spi -- I've only used them with UARTs). As I'm writing this, the site seems to be down, but I recall that they had 2.2-2.6" displays with touch: http://www.digole.com/index.php?categoryID=153. They ship from both China and Canada (so if you are in North America, you might want to choose the displays being shipped from Canada).

Here is an ebay sale from the Canadian branch for a 2.2" display with touchscreen, and 16M of memory for fonts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2-Serial-...uino-PIC-CA-/251992373392?hash=item3aabea7890.

<edit>
And the Adafruit version of the ILI9341 screen does not have pins soldered in (though of course, you are paying Adafruit prices): https://www.adafruit.com/products/2478

Last edited:
Are the IPS displays truly much better for off-axis viewing? My application has the display on a wall and putting it at eyeball height (for TFT?) is not desired.

The 115200 baud UART interface sure seems simple, as do the high level commands and onboard/user defined fonts. Neat.

Are the IPS displays truly much better for off-axis viewing? My application has the display on a wall and putting it at eyeball height (for TFT?) is not desired.

The 115200 baud UART interface sure seems simple, as do the high level commands and onboard/user defined fonts. Neat.

I don't know. So far, the only dig-ole displays I've gotten are their various OLED displays (great) and an older mono LCD (old style LCD, not that great). I haven't seen the new TFT displays, either the true color or the IPS. Their Arduino library just needed a tweak or two to run on Teensy (mostly for the examples, to change Serial to Serial1). Of course, if you are going to do use the fonts, you probably want to get the displays with 16 megabytes of flash memory, to hold the fonts.

And it looks like whatever network glitch digole.com had has been resolved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back