Another low cost WiFi open source board

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevech

Another example of what amazingly low cost small format boards give us... This one costs about the same as a Raspberry Pi Zero + WiFi dongle combo.

http://www.seeed.cc/linkit_smart_7688/

$13 or $16. The latter "includes" an Atmel AVR (coprocessor?).
MIPS MCU (somewhat odd?) MIPS24KEc 580 MHz
Gobs of flash and RAM.
Ethernet interface but RJ45 is off-board.
USB host SPI, UART, etc.

Runs OpenWrt Linux - I assume that GCC supports MIPS.

Personally, I've purchased some ESP8266-based boards and an RPi Zero and others, and fiddled with all. I don't like the ESP8266 due to it suffering from being too cheap -and all that brings (bad docs, trial and error, etc.). The WiFi'd RPi Zero has been great in tests I've been doing with it and an Xbee piggyback board - as a home automation hub with all the app code in quick and easy Python. Remotely located Xbee do sensor data acquisition and transmission (A/D, GPIOs, pin change, etc) - with no MCU or code; Xbee's stock firmware does it all. Just code at the hub.

Last edited:
Does GCC support MIPS? Yes.

FWIW, I worked at OSF (Open Software Foundation) from 1989 to 1994, and one of the 3 hardware platforms that I supported GCC on was a MIPS based platform (DECstation 3100), and by the time I started there, the basic MIPS port was fully operational. From 1994 through 2002 when I was at Cygnus Solutions and later Red Hat, I made various modifications to the MIPS compiler to add support for new instruction sets for different chipsets. I see that others have made modifications since then. Now, there might be the odd new instruction added by a particular chipset that isn't supported, but the basic MIPS support should work (and Linux support is rather hard if you don't have GCC).

Way back, I worked on a large image processing project. We used Sun SPARCs for some time, then moved to the MIPS-based DEC Alpha which was at the time MUCH faster than the SPARC, and was 64 bits. The DEC Alpha's speed and memory size allowed us to do some first-time-ever-done-in-software image processing on huge images. DEC had their own Unix variant OS ... kind of like what Apple OS X did long thereafter. This was well before OOP and C++.

Isn't the Microchip PIC32 (super proprietary/closed) using a MIPS based design (under license?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back