OSC through serial vs USB-midi mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcskelle

Hi all.

I'm building a teensy-based midi-controller for talking to ableton with knobs, slider, encoders - you know the ususal midi-controller stuff BUT some oled screen for feedback and configuration menus on the unit.
Since I'd like the usage of the unit to be super simple , preferable just plug'n'play into the laptop (i have no need for network really), the easiest seems to use the teensy usb-midi plug'n'play mode. It so simple and well supported.

On the other hand: I could use OSC, and thereby have a more scalable and modern project base to build on.

Can I use the teensy with OSC (https://github.com/CNMAT/OSC) just by pluggin in the USB-cable - I mean without hardware network-components. If I can, what are the pros and cons of this osc-through serial compared to over network and the standard USB-midi-mode.

Regards
/Thomas

I personally have not used OSC, and the last time I used networking through serial was the in the 1990s (before anyone used USB).

However, people who've used this report it's not very convenient. Apparently an annoying issue is reconnecting the network interface whenever the USB is unplugged and plugged back in.

If you can work within the limitations of MIDI, you'll probably enjoy the experience more. But if you need the power of OSC, you certainly can use it. Doing it over serial just isn't as seamless or convenient as USB MIDI.

Usb midi is at least 10 times easier than osc over serial. Even osc as compared to midi, midi is easier though not as powerful. There is nothing like plug and play.:) and comparatively, osc , esp over serial, is not plug and play

Last edited:
Thanx for your answer paul.

Actually i think I'll go with the convenience i figure usb-midi will deliver. The only thing I need that midi dosn't seem appropiate for is communication interface text-strings. Never done that. Maybe sysex or something...

This is just a quick proto mostly on hardware, but I'm actually trying to startup a kind of community-driven hw/sw-framework - like a "lego-system" for building control interfaces for all kinds of hands-on controlling (an OSS sort of this http://djtechtools.com/2013/12/17/palette-behind-the-modular-controllers/). The idea is super old, but the times maker arduino/teensy movement and the possibilities with lots of hands working together and sharing knowledge seem perfect.

So when looking ahead, thinking in a more large scale like that, I think midi is not the right thing. Dont know if OSC is either. But for now midi it must be :) thanks guys!

bjosephs has done pretty much what you are doing, witin the confines of HUI (Hui provides the means to communicate interface text as feedback etc)...He has used to to run oleds ... a very impressive project.... He pmed me some video etc .... do a search..

Here is a discussion with him as to sysex issues (HUI uses sysex for text, I think ...)

bjoseph

I have some motorized fader code, and some faderport code (no text feedback though) ....But if you get in touch with bjosephs, well his oled code if he is willing to share, would get you a long way

Osc is flexible, but midi is tried and true, and very widely supported and understood.. Its kind of the default starting position.

I remember coming across a controller library, and there is also this amazing project where you add banks of buttons, faders etc, modularly ... I'll find it and post later.

Thanx again adrian.

Yes, please do share that link with the modular controller project you mentioned. I'm very interested in how you can achieve modularity that truely stimulate construction.

Especially the hardware part of thing seems changelleing if you wanna keep latency low on reading signals generated by the individual fader/know/switch/etc-blocks, and at the same time have the complete system scalable up to many units, without having to use wires harnesses or busses, but more like snapping blocks together like lego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back