Mounting of ILI9341 TFT to complete project??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matadormac

Good day.

I am completing my portable Teensy 3.2 based environment meter. I am using the PJRC ILI9341 TFT touch screen display and need to figure out how to mount it for use and final aesthetics.

I am using a black plastic Hammond enclosure so I can modify it reasonably readily.

Is there a bezel which can be used to complete the aesthetic mount for the TFT display? Or how are people doing it? I could just cut a window in the plastic enclosure sized to just fit the TFT. Or, can a bezel actually touch the outermost edges of the TFT touchscreen but without causing unwanted "touches"?

Bread boards and proto boards are great but I need to come up with something complete and aesthetically decent.

Regards

Active touch area extends beyond the display area. I'd suggest a stylus test to see the extent of that. I did a lot of it weeks back and you'd want to not only not complete the circuit with pressure - but not keep your finger from going edge to edge as well.

Old thread, but I have the same question. Has anyone found a bezel than can be used with this display? The kind of thing I'm thinking of would adhere to the top of a box and cover the inevitable gap between the cutout in the box and the edge of the display.
Doug

Hi DougMcK. I never did find a bezel for this display although I looked high and low. I have finally decided to make my own. I could design one and have one of the online shops cut it for me out of black plexiglass or whatever color you might want but I am a machine head as well so I intend to buy a CNC mill very shortly and start making my own short run bezels and in some cases custom project boxes. I intend to get into short run production of my projects to test market so that is another reason behind going the CNC route.

Good luck with your project.

MatadorMac

Hi MatadorMac,
When will you be able to sell me a bezel??

I found a way to have a thin gloss black polycarbonate bezel made for a few hundred dollars in tooling and a few bucks per copy. I only need 1, or maybe 2! I wonder if PJRC could be encouraged to supply such a thing?
cheers,
Doug

Hi DougMck.

In truth not for a couple of months maybe sooner but I wouldn't count on it. I feel your frustration (not with PJRC, they are awesome) but with the general lack of bezels for all of these displays that are being sold.

At the moment my cost would be for the black plexiglass or whatever we wind up making the bezels from. My current plans are to use black plexiglass although there are other colors available in small sheet sizes.

Hi,

I see this thread is pretty old but I thought I'd contribute anyway in case someone else is looking for solution. I've looked high and low for an off the shelf solution with no luck. The only thing I came up with, other than a home brew 3D printed or CNCed part is a custom laser cut part using a service like ponoko.com. I've used these services to make display bezels before but not for a touch display like this one. The problem is that laser cut parts can only have a 90° cut - for a touch screen , you probably want a deep 45° chamfer around the screen. As a solution I was thinking about ordering the laser cut part and using a trim router with a 45° bit to cut the chamfer. This should do the trick and would be a lot easier than trying to make it yourself on a CNC or 3D printer - if you have one. Just a suggestion - hope this helps...

-Victor

Hi,
I, too, ended up by ordering a custom front panel. It was a little more "industrial" than sleek but that was fine for the project. I used front panel express and just glued the display behind an opening. That particular service allows for routed and filled lettering which was nice.
Doug

Bezel thoughts

Hi,

I see this thread is pretty old but I thought I'd contribute anyway in case someone else is looking for solution. I've looked high and low for an off the shelf solution with no luck. The only thing I came up with, other than a home brew 3D printed or CNCed part is a custom laser cut part using a service like ponoko.com. I've used these services to make display bezels before but not for a touch display like this one. The problem is that laser cut parts can only have a 90° cut - for a touch screen , you probably want a deep 45° chamfer around the screen. As a solution I was thinking about ordering the laser cut part and using a trim router with a 45° bit to cut the chamfer. This should do the trick and would be a lot easier than trying to make it yourself on a CNC or 3D printer - if you have one. Just a suggestion - hope this helps...

-Victor

I think you are right. I have purchased a 6060Z cnc machine for doing things like this but have it in storage for the moment as I am moving and jumping countries.

One thought for routing such delicate and often small pieces is to use a Dremel tool with chamfering bit and either make you own small router table or use theirs (if it is still available). Much safer to use for person and bezel.

Good thoughts all.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back