WS2801 pixel wall + Teensy 3.0 + Glediator/Jinx

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkilauda

hi am trying to build a pixel matrix of 28x14=392 ws2801 leds.

the idea is from this film on you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQv3cHG1-XQ
everything is perfectly told and shown but the only thing that works by me is blinking in the LED blink program.

i set all the parameters in glediator but no results.

i am a nobody in this so a step by step help to resolve the problem is helpfull

I have 400 ws2801 leds connected to data pin 11 and clock pin 13.
Ground redirected to the ground of my 5v power supply, and the teensy and the ws2801 led-string and the 5v only direct from the string to the power supply.

Usb from teensy to the laptop.

Running teensy loader and the gladiator software.

The leds blink together with the blinking program of the teensy 3.1.
Hitting the button of the teensy only turns the ws2801 in bleu shinning mode it does not communicate with the glediator.

I am a geek with the pc so how can i see ore test what goes wrong ??

Last edited:
This forum rule is shown in bold letters right above your first post:

"Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue! "

:)

I have posted the you tube link where all the parameters set to the glediator program is explained.

A teensy 3.1 is with the usb conected to a string of ws2801 leds and run with the gladiator software.

It should work but only the standard blinking program of the teensy 3.1 is blinking the leds, the gladiator does not control the leds.

I connected as shown on the video the teensy with pin 14 and 11 data and clock of the led string wire and the ground from the led string to the teensy and 5v supply and the 5v power directly to the power supply.

The blinking starts priving teensy works the leds blink to so they work.
But i do not get the software of glediator to control the leds.

When i push the teensy button the ws2801 leds just shine bleu nothing else.
Help why isnt it comunicating ?

Last edited:
My question then is what code are you running on the Teensy ?
Did you use the Arduino IDE and Teensyduino to compile and upload any code to the Teensy ?

@nikkilauda, as headroom asks, have you loaded code onto your Teensy via the Arduino IDE? There are two parts to getting gladiator to work with Teensy, first the Gladiator which sends out the led data, and second the Teensy, which must also have the correct code, which you will need to load onto it vie the Arduino IDE.

That code will look something like this, but you will need to change the LEDS type info line for FastLED and add in the clk pin line:
Code:
#include "FastLED.h"
#define NUM_LEDS 400
const int dataline = 6;

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];
void setup() {
        Serial.begin(115200); 
   	LEDS.addLeds<WS2812B, dataline>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
}
int serialGlediator() {
  while (!Serial.available()) {}
  return Serial.read();
}
void loop() {
   while (serialGlediator() != 1) {} 

for (int i=0; i < NUM_LEDS; i++) {
     leds[i].r = serialGlediator();
     leds[i].g = serialGlediator();
     leds[i].b = serialGlediator();
   }
     FastSPI_LED.show();
}

I think that you have not loaded code onto the Teensy.

double posting is not useful: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/25005-Teensy-3-1-problems-with-WS2801?p=93792#post93792

@nikkilauda, as headroom asks, have you loaded code onto your Teensy via the Arduino IDE? There are two parts to getting gladiator to work with Teensy, first the Gladiator which sends out the led data, and second the Teensy, which must also have the correct code, which you will need to load onto it vie the Arduino IDE.

That code will look something like this, but you will need to change the LEDS type info line for FastLED and add in the clk pin line:
Code:
#include "FastLED.h"
#define NUM_LEDS 400
const int dataline = 6;

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];
void setup() {
        Serial.begin(115200); 
   	LEDS.addLeds<WS2812B, dataline>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
}
int serialGlediator() {
  return Serial.read();
}
void loop() {

}
     FastSPI_LED.show();
}

I think that you have not loaded code onto the Teensy.

double posting is not useful: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/25005-Teensy-3-1-problems-with-WS2801?p=93792#post93792

thanks mortonkopf for youre help,

and no indeed i did not load any code in.

you will need to change the LEDS type info line for FastLED and add in the clk pin line:

so i must past this code in but with this line <LEDS.addLeds<WS2812B, dataline>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
}>
ws2801 ipv ws2812b ????

how do i load it into arduino ide ???
and then its ready to go ?

Last edited:
You should first load the FastLED test sketch to your Teensy, use the Fistfight sketch that comes in the Arduino IDE. In this sketch you will find the line for setting the clock and data pins, and also the line to set the correct led type in Setup. In setup you will see something like: FastLED.addLeds<WS2801, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS); In the top of the sketch you will see something along the lines of #define CLOCK_PIN 8 and #define DATA_PIN 3. These are the pins for you led data and clock lines. You will also need to provide additional power t the Leds, as not enough will be supplied via USB only.

The above might not be correct regarding specific code, you should run the test sketch and get the leds going before trying to get the gladiator output going.

void setup() {
// put your setup code here, to run once:

#include "FastLED.h"
#define NUM_LEDS 400
const int dataline = 6;

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS 400];
void setup() {
Serial.begin(115200);
LEDS.addLeds<WS2801, dataline>(leds, NUM_LEDS 400);
}
int serialGlediator() {
return Serial.read();
}
void loop() {

leds.r = serialGlediator();
leds.g = serialGlediator();
leds.b = serialGlediator();
}
FastSPI_LED.show();
}

void loop() {
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

like this ?????
i have conected it to a powersupply

I have 400 ws2801 leds connected to data pin 11 and clock pin 13.
Ground redirected to the ground of my 5v power supply, and the teensy and the ws2801 led-string and the 5v only direct from the string to the power supply.

Last edited:
ws2801 are four line leds, so you will need to declare clk as well as data lines. Have you looked at the example in the arduino IDE for FastLED? such as the firstlight. You should have a look at that as it shows you how to get your legs going. Just use the first example first to make sure you have everything wired up correctly. I would not use pin 11 and 13 either, but pins such as three and eight. You need to physically connect the data wire at the input end of the led string to the pin that you declare in you code as the data pin, such as pin eight, and connect he wire going to clk to pin three and declare clk as pin 3 in the sketch.

Teensy and fasted will not know automatically where you have connected the wires to, you have to tell it in the code.

mortonkof i run firstlight

this is the code given:

// Use if you want to force the software SPI subsystem to be used for some reason (generally, you don't)
// #define FASTLED_FORCE_SOFTWARE_SPI
// Use if you want to force non-accelerated pin access (hint: you really don't, it breaks lots of things)
// #define FASTLED_FORCE_SOFTWARE_PINS
#include "FastLED.h"

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// Move a white dot along the strip of leds. This program simply shows how to configure the leds,
// and then how to turn a single pixel white and then off, moving down the line of pixels.
//

// How many leds are in the strip?
#define NUM_LEDS 50

// Data pin that led data will be written out over
#define DATA_PIN 3

// Clock pin only needed for SPI based chipsets when not using hardware SPI
//#define CLOCK_PIN 8

// This is an array of leds. One item for each led in your strip.
CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

// This function sets up the leds and tells the controller about them
void setup() {
// sanity check delay - allows reprogramming if accidently blowing power w/leds
delay(2000);

FastLED.addLeds<WS2801, DATA_PIN, CLOCK_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);

// This function runs over and over, and is where you do the magic to light
// your leds.
void loop() {
// Move a single white led
for(int whiteLed = 0; whiteLed < NUM_LEDS; whiteLed = whiteLed + 1) {
// Turn our current led on to white, then show the leds
leds[whiteLed] = CRGB::White;

// Show the leds (only one of which is set to white, from above)
FastLED.show();

// Wait a little bit
delay(100);

// Turn our current led back to black for the next loop around
leds[whiteLed] = CRGB::Black;
}

first question:
on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQv3cHG1-XQ:

they tell me to wire data pin 11 and clock pin 13 on my teensy 3.1

you advise me to connect it to pins such as three and eight on my teensy 3.1 ???

second question:

push the button load in arduino ide and i get this errors:

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows XP), Board:"Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Documents and Settings\kevin\Bureaublad\FirstLight_instellen_matrix_arduino_taal\FirstLight_instellen_matrix_arduino_taal.ino:6:21: fatal error: FastLED.h: No such file or directory

#include "FastLED.h"

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Fout bij compileren.

Dit rapport zou meer informatie hebben met
"Tijdens de compilatie uitgebreide uitvoer weergeven"
ingeschakeld in Bestand > Voorkeuren.

from what you have posted, there are a number of issues to sort out. The error says Genuino Uno, in the Arduino IDE you need to select the board you are using. Go to the menu bar, click on Tools, and in the drop down menu click on Boards and then select yours (Teensy 3.0?). Second, In the sketch you posted you need to uncomment the line //#define CLOCK_PIN 8. Any line with // at the front is not read by the compiler as it is seen as a comment only, and not a line of code. Remove the //. You need to tell the compiler that you have a clock line as well as a data line, as these Leds require both.

I said to use different pins to 11 and 13 as I found that FastLED seemed to be happier with other pins in my setup.

If you do not have the Teensy board show up, you need to run the Teensyduino installer programme. you will find the info at this link very useful https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Last edited:
from what you have posted, there are a number of issues to sort out. The error says Genuino Uno, in the Arduino IDE you need to select the board you are using. Go to the menu bar, click on Tools, and in the drop down menu click on Boards and then select yours (Teensy 3.0?). Second, In the sketch you posted you need to uncomment the line //#define CLOCK_PIN 8. Any line with // at the front is not read by the compiler as it is seen as a comment only, and not a line of code. Remove the //. You need to tell the compiler that you have a clock line as well as a data line, as these Leds require both.

I said to use different pins to 11 and 13 as I found that FastLED seemed to be happier with other pins in my setup.

If you do not have the Teensy board show up, you need to run the Teensyduino installer programme. you will find the info at this link very useful https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

ok have connected the pins you advise installed the Teensyduino installer programme.
find out i got 2811 leds instead of 2801 at solderlab.de dwnladed a interface sketch for the 2811 leds to the glediator software but nothing.

So, as discussed above, WS2801 have four wires going to them. WS2811 have three wires, are also called neopixels, and the wires will be +ve -ve and data.

Do yourself a favour and just run firstlight FastLED for ws2811 leds telling the sketch which pin you are using, and making sure you connect the data line going to your legs to that pin on the teensy. Get your led strip working first, before bringing in more complications from data transfer issues from other software. The first light sketch is the simplest one. Make sure that in the Arduino IDE you have selected your board as discussed above, and clicked the upload button.

if you have trouble loading firstlight sketch, describe exactly how you are trying to connect the less and to load the sketch, and also what any error messages are.

Last edited:
So, as discussed above, WS2801 have four wires going to them. WS2811 have three wires, are also called neopixels, and the wires will be +ve -ve and data.

Do yourself a favour and just run firstlight FastLED for ws2811 leds telling the sketch which pin you are using, and making sure you connect the data line going to your legs to that pin on the teensy. Get your led strip working first, before bringing in more complications from data transfer issues from other software. The first light sketch is the simplest one. Make sure that in the Arduino IDE you have selected your board as discussed above, and clicked the upload button.

if you have trouble loading firstlight sketch, describe exactly how you are trying to connect the less and to load the sketch, and also what any error messages are.

ok
i run the program firstlight
// Use if you want to force the software SPI subsystem to be used for some reason (generally, you don't)
// Use if you want to force non-accelerated pin access (hint: you really don't, it breaks lots of things)
// #define FASTLED_FORCE_SOFTWARE_PINS
#include "FastLED.h"

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// Move a white dot along the strip of leds. This program simply shows how to configure the leds,
// and then how to turn a single pixel white and then off, moving down the line of pixels.
//

// How many leds are in the strip?
#define NUM_LEDS 5000

// Data pin that led data will be written out over
#define DATA_PIN 11

// Clock pin only needed for SPI based chipsets when not using hardware SPI
//#define CLOCK_PIN 3

// This is an array of leds. One item for each led in your strip.
CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

// This function sets up the ledsand tells the controller about them
void setup() {
// sanity check delay - allows reprogramming if accidently blowing power w/leds
delay(2000);

// Uncomment one of the following lines for your leds arrangement.
// FastLED.addLeds<TM1803, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<TM1804, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<TM1809, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
FastLED.addLeds<WS2811, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<WS2812, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<WS2812B, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<NEOPIXEL, DATA_PIN>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<APA104, DATA_PIN>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<WS2811_400, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<GW6205, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<GW6205_400, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<UCS1903, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<UCS1903B, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);

// FastLED.addLeds<WS2801, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<SM16716, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<LPD8806, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<P9813, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<APA102, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<DOTSTAR, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);

// FastLED.addLeds<WS2801, DATA_PIN, CLOCK_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<SM16716, DATA_PIN, CLOCK_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<LPD8806, DATA_PIN, CLOCK_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<P9813, DATA_PIN, CLOCK_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<APA102, DATA_PIN, CLOCK_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
// FastLED.addLeds<DOTSTAR, DATA_PIN, CLOCK_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
}

// This function runs over and over, and is where you do the magic to light
// your leds.
void loop() {
// Turn our current led on to white, then show the leds

// Show the leds (only one of which is set to white, from above)
FastLED.show();

// Wait a little bit
delay(100);

// Turn our current led back to black for the next loop around
}
}

this is the code and my leds go on and off not all 50, some leds are not so bright.
is it good that it blinks, because as i understand it this is a loop for a running light, correct ?

now i know pin 11 data works and ws 2811 leds

whats the next step ?

great, you got firstlight working. you have this in your code: #define NUM_LEDS 5000. Do you really have 5000 leds?

Anyhow, now you know how to load a sketch to the teensy, and you know that the less work (you saw a simple white light move up along the led string and then go off again one at a time, right?) and you used pin 11 for that. Now load your gladiator sketch to the teensy. You do this by:
1) opening the .ino sketch that presumably came with the Gladiator software
2) select your board in the Arduino IDE
3) change the define data line to 11
4) change the number of leds in the sketch to the number you have
5) hit the upload button
6)start Glediator with the correct parameters. (I don't use glediator, so don't know this bit)

If the firmware from gladiator is not for teensy / arm, try the below sketch:

Code:
#include "FastLED.h"

#define NUM_LEDS 400
#define DATA_PIN 11;

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

void setup() {
        Serial.begin(115200); 
delay(1000);
}
int serialGlediator() {
  return Serial.read();
}
void loop() {

}
     FastSPI_LED.show();
}

by the way, you can use the CODE button to show your code in an easy to read format...

Last edited:
great, you got firstlight working. you have this in your code: #define NUM_LEDS 5000. Do you really have 5000 leds?

Anyhow, now you know how to load a sketch to the teensy, and you know that the less work (you saw a simple white light move up along the led string and then go off again one at a time, right?) and you used pin 11 for that. Now load your gladiator sketch to the teensy. You do this by:
1) opening the .ino sketch that presumably came with the Gladiator software
2) select your board in the Arduino IDE
3) change the define data line to 11
4) change the number of leds in the sketch to the number you have
5) hit the upload button
6)start Glediator with the correct parameters. (I don't use glediator, so don't know this bit)

If the firmware from gladiator is not for teensy / arm, try the below sketch:

Code:
#include "FastLED.h"

#define NUM_LEDS 400
#define DATA_PIN 11;

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

void setup() {
        Serial.begin(115200); 
delay(1000);
}
int serialGlediator() {
  return Serial.read();
}
void loop() {

}
     FastSPI_LED.show();
}

by the way, you can use the CODE button to show your code in an easy to read format...

To start, hanks for this code

The first light does not do what you say.
(you saw a simple white light move up along the led string and then go off again one at a time, right?)

The entire string goes on/off together, if i change something its the on/off time that changes.

It seems to be a 2811 string but 4 wires so i disconnected the click wire.

I had the clock wire to pin 13 wich is de status led, so al the leds blink with the status led cause there was a constant clock.

I know how to load a sketch in the teensy now thanks for that.

First light is a running light why do all the leds blink ?

Unfortunately, I can't help you if you can't tell what leds you have. Post a picture up with images of any markings that you have. If its four wires, its a different chip, possibly ws2801. From your description above, the firstlight test sketch is NOT running properly, it should be one white led at a time moving up the length of the strip. You need to figure this out first.

Also, as mentioned above, you need to be clear on which pins you are connecting your leds to. You said pin 11, but then you said also to pin 13. Give all the information to help work through this. Connecting an led wire to pin 13 will do nothing if the pin is not set to do something in the sketch!

Also, as mentioned above, you need to be clear on which pins you are connecting your leds to. You said pin 11, but then you said also to pin 13. Give all the information to help work through this. Connecting an led wire to pin 13 will do nothing if the pin is not set to do something in the sketch!

I connected pin 11
This is the link to my leds

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/323544...60.I5n0lz&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

This is the diskription its a ws2811 simular to 2801 ???

> Input side: is the side with IC* WS2811

> IC WS2811 similat to WS2801,long life span than WS2801,*

> RGB Pixels are digitally-controllable lights you can set to any color, or animate. Each RGB LED and controller chip is molded into a 'dot' of silicone. The dots are waterproof and rugged. There are four flanges molded in so that you can 'push' them into a 12mm drill hole in any material up to 1.5mm/0.06" thick. They're typically used to make outdoor signs

> Each dot is digitally controlled, with an internal 8-bit PWM LED driver (24-bit color for 16 million different shades). The pixels must be clocked by a microcontroller, we have an example code linked below that works on an Arduino, it should be simple to adapt it to any other microcontroller.*

> The pixels use 8mm diffused RGB LEDs, with a 120 degree beam width. The total max brightness of all LEDs is about 1600mcd but with the light more evenly distributed & mixed than a clear LED

> 12mm diameter (0.45") 75mm deep (1.5")

> 100mm

> 50 pieces per strand

> These pixels use a WS2811 chip for full 24 bit color

> 5V power, 60mA maximum per pixel (LED on full white)*

> 2-pin SPI-like protocol

> WS2811 Datasheet for the chip inside each pixel

> Brightness: Red = 3.3 Lumens/300 mcd, Green = 10 Lumens/1000 mcd, Blue = 2.7 Lumens/300 mcd (mcd calculation based on full 120 degree bea

4*50pcs WS2811 LED

Last edited:
the description of these does not match the image. just try leaving the physical connections you have, pin 11 and pin 13, but change the code. Try this following code:

Code:
#include "FastLED.h"
#define NUM_LEDS 60
#define DATA_PIN 11
#define CLOCK_PIN 13

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

void setup() {
     delay(1000);
}

void loop() {

FastLED.show();
delay(100);
}
}

one last thing, change where the led wires come to the teensy pin connection to 6 and 5 instead of 11 and 13, and change the code to:
#define DATA_PIN 6
#define CLOCK_PIN 5

If this doesn't work, i really don't know what is going on.

the description of these does not match the image. just try leaving the physical connections you have, pin 11 and pin 13, but change the code. Try this following code:

Code:
#include "FastLED.h"
#define NUM_LEDS 60
#define DATA_PIN 11
#define CLOCK_PIN 13

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

void setup() {
     delay(1000);
}

void loop() {

FastLED.show();
delay(100);
}
}

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows XP), TD: 1.27, Board:"Teensy 3.2 / 3.1, Serial, 96 MHz optimized (overclock), US English"

In file included from C:\Documents and Settings\kevin\Bureaublad\sketch_jan22a\sketch_jan22a.ino:1:0:
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\FastLED/FastLED.h:12:2: warning: #warning FastLED version 3001000 (Not really a warning, just telling you here.) [-Wcpp]
#warning FastLED version 3001000 (Not really a warning, just telling you here.)
^
exit status 1
Fout bij compileren.

Dit rapport zou meer informatie hebben met
"Tijdens de compilatie uitgebreide uitvoer weergeven"
ingeschakeld in Bestand > Voorkeuren.

one last thing, change where the led wires come to the teensy pin connection to 6 and 5 instead of 11 and 13, and change the code to:
#define DATA_PIN 6
#define CLOCK_PIN 5

If this doesn't work, i really don't know what is going on.

i tested everything i have 4 wires on mij led string, but only as i connect 3 wires (without clock) (green wire) as a 2811 the sketch blinker works at all pins i give data to.
in the firstlight sketch every led in the string blinks, i can only change the on/off time.

the communication is there, teensy works and fast led too.

the leds light up but not as wanted.

the color is always bleu, with shortcut green.

the seller tells me to connect the white wire to 5v
and the green, bleu and green wire is for the color i want ?????

what is the best way to check if my string functions 100% or wat ic is in it ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back