Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adjusting the Teensy MIDI device name

Thanks. I've added the mac screenshot to the web page.

I just launched an old Arduino installed from last year on my Windows 7 VM (Arduino 1.6.6, Teensyduino 1.26 on VMWare 10.1.1. on my Mac - High Sierra) and connected a USB port (screenshot), and it recognized the USB port by my renamed value.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VMWare USB settings on Win 7 VM.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	640.8 KB 
ID:	12729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VMWare USB settings on Win 7 VM.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	640.8 KB 
ID:	12729

Looks like Windows accepts the MIDI device name change as well ("DigiBrass MIDI").

Does that confirm what you were looking for, Paul?
    I don't get the "Van Ooijen Technische" part... that's always been a prefix.

note the Audacity view of the MIDI port is just "DigiBrass MIDI"

Name:	Audacity screenshot on Mac.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	12730

Interesting that "MIDI Monitor" a Mac app I sownbloaded from Snoise, shows the following

Name:	MIDI Monitor - Snoize.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	12731

and from the Mac program "Audio MIDI Setup"...

Name:	Audio MIDI Setup.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	12732

p.s. Don't know why I got a double Windows screenshot image from VMWare, but heck, it's my dog, so it's OK.
    Last edited by Davidelvig; 01-25-2018 at 04:29 AM.

Based on my understanding, the new device name has to be explicitly defined at compiling (since it uses #define)? Does the USB code require it to be declared that way, or can it somehow be declared as a variable that could be device-dependent?
    Otherwise it seems that to have multiple Teensys connected with unique names, I'd have to change the name manually for each device before compiling.

...until the official answer comes... I'd say 'yes' it has to be that was because it has to override a weak link definition elsewhere in the Teensyduino libraries (see post 6 above)

...edit... wait... has to be a define statement but it can be in the code of the sketch... er... now I'm not so sure and I think I should have waited for a more informed answer. - now I miss the delete post feature.

Hi, I'm having an issue with multiple Teensy Midi devices that I need connected to the PC at the same time. I've renamed their device names as outlined in this thread, and they are showing correct names in windows device manager, but in all apps I've tested, I can see two devices with the same name, and not two unique devices. I've tested with Unity3d using nAudio plugin, Resolume Arena, and Midi-OX. They both work correctly if only one is plugged in at a time, but need to use both together. It seems pretty random which of the two devices is used twice, and if I plug into a different usb bus, sometimes I can get them both recognised as expected. But need them to always be recognised correctly. See screen grab of Midi-Ox displaying two duplicate names, and Windows device manager showing correct names (ConanSkate and ConanLanguage are the two renamed Teensys).

Name:	midiNames.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	15123

I'm using Windows 10, Teensy 3.2, arduino 1.8.6
    I've tried uninstalling the devices from the device manager, and restarting many times.
    Was wondering if comment #23 might be useful, but wasn't sure how to implement that.
    Any help greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by HEADFULL View Post
    Hi, I'm having an issue with multiple Teensy Midi devices that I need connected to the PC at the same time. I've renamed their device names as outlined in this thread, and they are showing correct names in windows device manager, but in all apps I've tested, I can see two devices with the same name, and not two unique devices. I've tested with Unity3d using nAudio plugin, Resolume Arena, and Midi-OX. They both work correctly if only one is plugged in at a time, but need to use both together. It seems pretty random which of the two devices is used twice, and if I plug into a different usb bus, sometimes I can get them both recognised as expected. But need them to always be recognised correctly. See screen grab of Midi-Ox displaying two duplicate names, and Windows device manager showing correct names (ConanSkate and ConanLanguage are the two renamed Teensys).

Name:	midiNames.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	15123

I'm using Windows 10, Teensy 3.2, arduino 1.8.6
    I've tried uninstalling the devices from the device manager, and restarting many times.
    Was wondering if comment #23 might be useful, but wasn't sure how to implement that.
    Any help greatly appreciated!
    So it seems there is a hacky but simple way around my issue of multiple teensy MIDI devices on the same PC. Set one to MIDI and the other to Serial-MIDI in the arduino IDE Tools > USB type before uploading. The reason I think this is working is that in usb_desc.h USB_MIDI and USB_MIDI_SERIAL have different PRODUCT_ID values. It seems that only changing PRODUCT_NAME and MANUFACTURER_NAME are not enough to force some applications in Windows to see unique MIDI devices.
    The downside of this hacky solution is that only 2 Teensy devices will work this way (being only a choice of midi or serial-midi). I could change the PRODUCT_ID value in usb_desc.h manually before uploading to each device, but that doesn't seem very clean. Does anyone know if there is there a better way of doing this?

The Teensy is so powerful that in the newer Teensyduino versions, it supports 4 or even 16 virtual midi devices on a single Teensy over one single USB connection. So, with some mindful programming, it should not longer be needed to have too many different Midi Teensys on one computer since one can do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADFULL View Post
    So it seems there is a hacky but simple way around my issue of multiple teensy MIDI devices on the same PC. Set one to MIDI and the other to Serial-MIDI in the arduino IDE Tools > USB type before uploading. The reason I think this is working is that in usb_desc.h USB_MIDI and USB_MIDI_SERIAL have different PRODUCT_ID values. It seems that only changing PRODUCT_NAME and MANUFACTURER_NAME are not enough to force some applications in Windows to see unique MIDI devices.
    The downside of this hacky solution is that only 2 Teensy devices will work this way (being only a choice of midi or serial-midi). I could change the PRODUCT_ID value in usb_desc.h manually before uploading to each device, but that doesn't seem very clean. Does anyone know if there is there a better way of doing this?
    It’s such a simple fix that I can’t figure out for the life of me why no one else ever suggests it when multiple people always run in to this same issue. All you have to do is change the serial number of your device so the OS recognizes it as a separate entity when they are all using USB_MIDI.