Mac OS X El Capitan - No Serial Port - Solution inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've updated the PteroDAQ code to check both (as well as AppleUSBOHCI, though I doubt anyone has hardware with USB 1 ports that can run OS X 10.11), and am asking the students to check whether this bug fix works.

The first attempt did not quite work, as there seem to be several different USB stacks in different versions of OS X, but I made more fixes on 2016 Mar 31, and it now seems to work on USB 2 and USB 3 ports on many different OS X implementations (from 10.6.8 to 10.9 to 10.11.4).

Hello Paul.

Confirm bug is still present. There is no serial in some cases.

I'm using latest Mac OS 10.11.4
I have tested with Teensyduino 1.26, 1.27, 1.28 and 1.29_beta with no luck.

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 22.14.35.jpg

So only way how to get some serial data - use hardware Serial1 on pins 1 and 2
This looks really weird: both USB ports are used by one Teensy. One for programming another for serial data, plus extra board.
DSC_1073.jpg

Looking forward for a new fixed version.

Last edited:
Just a few days ago I got a report than 10.11.5 (beta) apparently fixes the serial issues. I don't have access to it, but I'm hopeful these painful El Capitan serial problems will all magically go away soon.

Oh yeah.
El Capitan have a lot of pain (not only serial)
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 07.37.44.png
Version 10.11.5 Beta (15F31a) really fix it.
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 07.34.57.png
Great.

This is only kexts was changed with this update:
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 07.53.00.png
Nothing about USB drivers but System.kext

Last edited:
I'm suddenly having this after updating (only) my Arduino and Teensyduino to the latest.
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 11.14.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-13 at 11.14.40 PM.png

No serial port.
I had this trouble with my original El Capitan update early in 2016, and it was fixed by a Teensyduino update. Probably in another thread on this forum.

So, I need to decide if I should down-grade to a previous Arduino and Teensyduino.

Any news on this front:
- Mac OSX 10.11.5
- Arduino 1.6.9
- Teensyduino 1.29

I've tried another cable.
And the previous one had worked fine for months.

note... It worked intermittently at first after updating...

I think I may have a fried Teensy 3.2... my first casualty.
No need for assistance at the moment until I figure that part out.
Apparently it was my great fortune to fry the Teensy while also making an upgrade to Arduino and TeensyDuino.
I was also tinkering with a change to NoteFreq.h in a copy of the Audio Library when it occurred (or I could have shorted a pin somewhere).

Alas... I'll pull another Teensy from the bin and see how it goes.

No problems with the new Teensy. I see no trouble with the Mac OS / Serial ports in a solid day of work.

Paul, any way to resurrect an apparently-dead Teensy 3.2?

Good linking fretless_kb - first is a defragster post and the second link was fixed by that same post.

Glad the steps worked and that I refined them and gave usable detail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back