Stackable 14 pin Female Headers for Teensy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isdale

I would like to stack my Teensy 3.2 with a couple daughter boards (octo, audio, xbee, etc). I could hard solder them but that makes reuse hard. Stackable female headers (long pins) would be nice, however, I cannot find them except in Arduino sizes. (up to 10 pins). These cannot be ganged up into the teensy 14 pin size.

Does anyone make Stackable 14 pin Female Headers for Teensy anywhere?
I'd take longer ones and cut em down if I can get bulk deals on 40 pin ones.

Thanks in advance.

I found sets of female header 8 & 6 on Amazon that work with long pins. There are small and large quantities - I got 50 of each for under $15 - last I looked the similar ones I saw were at $30.

Yes... I have a bunch of 8pin ones... If I clip em off and sand the ends down I can make em fit.
6pin ones would eliminate the clip off step, but still need sanding
I was hoping to find 14 pin.
Apparently Adafruit has 16pin ones for their feather boards - but out of stock currently.

I've cut and abused them as needed to good effect - glad I got a bulk pack. The long pins are spindly, but that is also good to bend them (once) when handy.

Digikey sells male pin headers meant for wire wrapping in lengths up to 50 pins. If you buy the right model, they allow you to easily cut them to the right length (i.e. Breakaway style). The photos will tell you.

The only downside is very long pins. However, they tend to be thicker than the stuff sold as a stackable for Arduino applications and you can always cut them to length as needed.

Thanks Constantin - I'll get some of those. I've wire wrapped to some of my pins - enough to test and then solder them in place.

Off hand - the 30ga or wire wrap wire - what current can you expect that to carry effectively? Is it pushing it to go 200-300 mA to feed an ESP8266 unit on a single wire? (assuming it is well wrapped or soldered? Using Onehorse units now that pin to Teensy I won't have to do that - but I do have another couple of 12E's.

I just got some of the 40 pin ones coming from Dipmicro. Bonus: It was cheaper in USA funds than the CDN prices listed. They are long enough to cut a 24 pin for a 3.6 and a 14 pin for a 3.2 out of each. I also ordered a few of the header kits for 3.2's that Sparkfun makes (PRT-13925 $1.50ea cheap). This is a old thread but with good info so I kind of bumping it after using the info.

FYI the Sparkfun header kit contains:

2x 13-pin stackable header
1x 7-pin female header (for pins on end) (also the 14'th pin if you consider the 3.2 to have 2 rows of 14 with 5 in the middle on the end)
1x 3-pin header (for 3-off grid holes)
1x 2x7 right-angle SMT header, for the surface mount pads on the back of the Teensy 3.2

The 13 and 7 pin headers have the long tail pin and socket for proper stacking.

This is an old thread, but I thought I would respond anyway as I have been poking around for a long-tail header as well and had mixed success finding one. I recalled that a years ago when I was trying to get into Arduino kit building, I'd found a company that makes them (Credit IIRC goes to an enterprising individual in the Arduino Forums). The Company's name is Samtec, they do all kinds of connectors. Here are the ones that I ordered
https://www.samtec.com/products/ssq-114-23-g-s
The downside is they are not cheap: $2.14 a piece. That said, they're a really solid product. I'm very happy with the ones I ordered, FWIW.

I would like to stack my Teensy 3.2 with a couple daughter boards (octo, audio, xbee, etc). I could hard solder them but that makes reuse hard. Stackable female headers (long pins) would be nice, however, I cannot find them except in Arduino sizes. (up to 10 pins). These cannot be ganged up into the teensy 14 pin size.

Does anyone make Stackable 14 pin Female Headers for Teensy anywhere?
I'd take longer ones and cut em down if I can get bulk deals on 40 pin ones.

Thanks in advance.

It works fairly well. I have used the Arduino Uno sets to set up my Teensys 3.2, 3.5 and 3.6 for prototyping but have had to cut and sand the pin headers a little to make them fit end to end for the length, not to mention a side shaving giving it a bit of clearance around the BGA processor so as to protect it from any mechanical movement damage. You can also get female strips up to 40 pins long that you can then cut to length but the only ones I have found are short on the male side. The Arduino ones are good in that I can plug the Teensy into a breadboard and then plug the audio card into it on top or whatever else I need to plug into it for prototyping. Of course when it comes to final units you may as well hard solder.

This is an old thread, but I thought I would respond anyway as I have been poking around for a long-tail header as well and had mixed success finding one. I recalled that a years ago when I was trying to get into Arduino kit building, I'd found a company that makes them (Credit IIRC goes to an enterprising individual in the Arduino Forums). The Company's name is Samtec, they do all kinds of connectors. Here are the ones that I ordered
https://www.samtec.com/products/ssq-114-23-g-s
The downside is they are not cheap: $2.14 a piece. That said, they're a really solid product. I'm very happy with the ones I ordered, FWIW.

Since this thread came out, Sparkfun has introduced their Teensy header kit, which includes 2 14-pin stacking headers, 1 5-pin stacking header, 1 5-pin male header with 1 pin removed (for VUSB, A10, A11, AREF), and a 2x7 SMT header for attaching to the bottom solder pads for US $1.50:

4ucon.com is the connector company that supplies basically all of the stacking header for the Arduino ecosystem. Go there, register an account and you can see the prices. You will die when you see that an 8 pin stacking header is worth (guessing) something like 6.762 cents. Cents, not dollars. They will make up orders of custom headers for a very reasonable price, sometimes the minimum order, which is usually 1000 pieces.
http://www.4uconnector.com/

Edit: it's somewhere in this page...

it might be this one, which is (incorrectly?) described on the list as DIP 6 pin...

This one seems to be a 10pin Arduino header.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back