Cross Platform development environment - USBMIDI and Teensy hex command line upload?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pensive

Hi all

I know this isn't the most applicable place to ask this question - but there is method to my madness. Typically when you ask hardcore coders they are likely to offer an absolute best solution which might have an incredibly steep learning curve, but in the very-very-long-term is the best way forward. I need to think a little...smaller.

I want to write a very simple application to talk MIDI over usb. I want it to be able to compile with minimal hassle onto macOS, linux, and windows platforms. iOS and Android would be awesome too but i think that's pushing it. :)

I run Windows, and I typically develop in MS Visual Studio.

I've looked at mono-develop and this seems to be reasonable - I also note there is an outdated mono plugin for VS but this seems a little "stitched" at first glance. (i note that this is possible with mono as Giada uses it and achieves midi across multiple platforms - it uses JUCE and mono)

I wonder if anyone here has any advice to offer?

UI for my app will include some pictures, possibly video, drop downs, settings profiles and I'd like it to be able to upload hex files using the teensy command line.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Last edited:
Looking in more depth at JUCE it appears to be tailor made for my use case and support iOS and Android as well :)

Yeah, sorry guys. I'm answering my own question here:
JUCE can be developed in Visual Studio or xcode and directly supports cross platform midi across OSX, linux, Windows, iOS and Android.

It's also totally free for open source projects.

No Brainer.

/closethread.

Yeah, sorry guys. I'm answering my own question here:
JUCE can be developed in Visual Studio or xcode and directly supports cross platform midi across OSX, linux, Windows, iOS and Android.

It's also totally free for open source projects.

No Brainer.

/closethread.
Visual Studio combo with Visual Micro for Arduino libs and Teensy and other processors.
Both Free. Optional limited hardware-less debugger.

It's great that Microsoft, loved and hated, made their excellent IDE available free, and can target ARM processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back