Any chance of a Teensy with USB pinout? (or without USB connector)

tifou

I was wondering if you had any plans to make a Teensy board (2.0??) with USB on pinout instead of USB connector?

It could be great for very integrated project !

If it's too much work to design a new board, maybe just sell existing ones without the USB connector ?

The Existing USB port doesn't use much vertical space and the overall length and width is more determined by the pin count. What situations were you thinking of where a USB plugless Teensy would be more useful?

The Existing USB port doesn't use much vertical space

I agree with you for the USB port. The part that use a lot of space is the USB connector on the cable.

What situations were you thinking of where a USB plugless Teensy would be more useful?

I think of very little joysticks or usb keys with Teensy integrated inside. It will be easier and smaller to weld cable directly on the PCB.

Last edited:
DIY it. Then use a tag-connect connector as s substitute for USB. They use almost no room and offer 6 connectors.

That's the first solution but not the easier for me. Am I alone to need a Teensy where I can weld a cable directly? :confused:

Then use a tag-connect connector as s substitute for USB.

I didn't know these connectors. It looks great, I write the idea for other projects.
For my current project, it's not possible to use it, I think it will not be strong enought for my rugged joystick.

Am I alone to need a Teensy where I can weld a cable directly? :confused:

My guess would be yes. Nearly everyone uses connectors.

Maybe if we knew more about what you're try to accomplish, it'd be easier to imagine whether or not it's a usage others would share.

Especially if you mean to actually weld cables. Most of use solder for connections. ;)

I'd use a connector.... For rugged applications I'd use a through-hole connector.

It's easy enough to solder to the Teensy LC's USB pins. I did this recently in a project where I wanted the cable to be not-detachable. Some hot glue for strain relief on the fine wires, and wire-tie strain relief for the cable itself as it exits the box:

interior.jpg

Back