Unable to download Teensyduino.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriComp

Hi,
Every time I attempt to download Teensyduino.exe on Windows 10 I get "The signature of this program is corrupt or invalid.".
I have paused antivirus software whilst the download takes place and unchecked "Check for signatures on downloaded programmes" in IE10's advanced settings.
Can anyone help.

hmm,

I haven't had that error, but I have had the "untrusted program" while INSTALLING teensyduino as well as "unsigned driver" when getting the driver installed. I had to do a bunch of loop-d-loops to get around the mandatory requirements that windows 10 imposes on software nowadays. I am realizing Windows 10 is just a pain in the ass when trying to install anything. Maybe try contacting Microsoft, I couldn't find that error on google.

<edit> - this is on download? That would take extra blocking enabled - I may get warned "this isn't commonly downloaded" - but just ignore that and go to downloads, if you acknowledge that it will delete the file? I would have done the download with IE not EDGE?

Download and install - Worked well for me on Win 10. You might right click the EXE and check to unblock. Then right click 'run as administrator'. Some install once asked 'do you want to run this untrusted app' - but it worked.

Make sure you have a clean valid download. I've put on python and some other things with no issues. Including the app for my phone which may have been the one with the flag warning about untrusted - or it may have been TYQT. All worked no problem.

Last edited:
I don't understand why it's failing. Here's what I see if I try to check the signature on Windows 10.

Capture.jpg
(click for full size)

Is there any chance your computer's clock is set in the future, beyond October 27, 2016? Or in the past, before October 27, 2013? Or maybe even before Jan 5 this year? (when this copy of Teensyduino was compiled and signed)

In theory, this signature is supposed to have a "timestamp" so it remains valid after PJRC code signing certificate expires (and I have to pay the tax again to Comodo....) But to be honest, I've never really checked this. I usually publish a new version of Teensyduino every few months, and I get the 3 year certificate option when I renew with Comodo, so it's rare to have a copy of the installer which depends on the timestamp to stay valid.

Last edited:
Is there any chance your computer's clock is set in the future, beyond October 27, 2016? Or in the past, before October 27, 2013? Or maybe even before Jan 5 this year? (when this copy of Teensyduino was compiled and signed)

In theory, this signature is supposed to have a "timestamp" so it remains valid after PJRC code signing certificate expires (and I have to pay the tax again to Comodo....) But to be honest, I've never really checked this. I usually publish a new version of Teensyduino every few months, and I get the 3 year certificate option when I renew with Comodo, so it's rare to have a copy of the installer which depends on the timestamp to stay valid.

Thanks for the quick reply...I have overcome the problem by just closing the warning message.
Like yourself I have checked the Certificate on the file and it is reported as OK.
I was just worried that your file might have gotten corrupted some how.

I still get the error message but the file is OK..so carry on as normal.

Regards
Bob B

Yep, that looks like it. Caused me palpitations for a while. Now I know about it, not a problem.

Ugh, looks like Windows XP can't understand SHA2 signatures. Haven't tried Vista, 7 or 8 yet....

It's also not clear (at least to me) if the part from Comodo is using SHA1 or SHA2. Not sure how to check that?

Ugh, maybe this means the part from Comodo is also using SHA1.

Capture.PNG

Please let me know if that files works? If not, looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to get this certificate reissued from Comodo. Not looking forward to that....

Tried it on Win10 and Win7 unfortunately same problem on both, reports Corrupt or Invalid Signature.
I downloaded with Getright and there was no problem at all.
I tried yesterday downloading with Getright and the download speed was limited to 2X 4bps so not too good. That limit was not applied to your later Teensyduino file.

Well, later today I'll look into how we can get an updated cert from Comodo using SHA2.

Please keep following this thread, if you can. I know it's already "solved" for you... but I could really use your help to check if updating the cert and signature makes this problem completely go away.

No problem....well, unfortunately a problem for you which you no doubt did not need.
I will keep an eye on the thread and do what I can to help.

Well, later today I'll look into how we can get an updated cert from Comodo using SHA2.

Please keep following this thread, if you can. I know it's already "solved" for you... but I could really use your help to check if updating the cert and signature makes this problem completely go away.

Having to go offline now for about 3 hrs. Then will be able to nip in for about an hour.
After that it will be 0800 UK Time tomorrow.

We bought the Comodo cert through Tucows in 2013. Looks like they no longer sell certificates, or even have the "developer" part of their website anymore. :(

I've logged into Comodo's site. They have a tool to replace the certificate. Sadly, it doesn't seem to work. It says is was successful, but then there's no cert stored on my machine. Grrrr....

Looks like we might end up just having to buy a new cert 8 months early.

On the plus side, this article on Comodo's website about dual signing for compatibility with Windows XP and Vista.

https://support.comodo.com/index.ph...g-certificates---sha1-and-sha-256-information

There's also some encouraging news about how to do it with osslsigncode. That's the utility I actually use... all the Windows software I make is actually built on a Linux system using mingw as a cross compiler.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ng-to-dual-sign-sha2-and-sha1-with-timestamps

looks like Windows XP can't understand SHA2 signatures

Luckily, you don't need to actually worry about Windows XP anymore. Approximately nobody (except Chinese pirates) is running it these days!
(Windows XP was released 15 years ago.)
(It also doesn't actually support any new machine built in the last few years ...)

Also, the Microsoft article suggests a work-around you can keep using for years to come :)

Files timestamped before January 1, 2016, will continue to be trusted.

Can anyone give this a try on Vista and/or XP? Or other versions?

We're looking to see whether the file is known to be published from PJRC (hopefully with a nice message), or from "unknown" (with a nasty warning).

Works and looks good on Win7 [ edit: Win7 ULTIMATE ]:
TeensyCert.png

Still had to (right click properties) UNBLOCK as it was downloaded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back