Gladiator with OctoWS2811 - working example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glediator

Hi, guys

i have problem detecting serial ports on glediator.

I am using Mac High Sierra. I did try the procedures as mention in earlier posts but no luck at all.

please help me out.

Thaks

Hi All,
I've been reading here numerous posts about artnet/WS2812 controlling.
There seem te be quite some knowledge in this group, therefore my question:
I would like to build a 60x60 led matrix. (The Led-strips WS2813 are already at home).
What would be the best hardware setup for some video send via Windows using Jinx or glediator ?
60*60 = 3600LEDs' = 10800 channels/170 = min 63 universes.

Any thoughts/ideas here?
Many thanks,
Geert

Hi All,
I've been reading here numerous posts about artnet/WS2812 controlling.
There seem te be quite some knowledge in this group, therefore my question:
I would like to build a 60x60 led matrix. (The Led-strips WS2813 are already at home).
What would be the best hardware setup for some video send via Windows using Jinx or glediator ?
60*60 = 3600LEDs' = 10800 channels/170 = min 63 universes.

Any thoughts/ideas here?
Many thanks,
Geert

A teensy with ocotws2811 is fine and the new ethernet library that paul updated should do the job. You will need to change its socket settings to have large buffer. However your math has incorrect numbers. 170 is pixels based on RGB taking up 3 channels. So a typical 512 universe of channels divided by RGB (3) then you get an even 170 (with two channels left). Therefore you would need to divide 3600 by 170 that ends up being about 22 universes.

A teensy with ocotws2811 is fine and the new ethernet library that paul updated should do the job. You will need to change its socket settings to have large buffer. However your math has incorrect numbers. 170 is pixels based on RGB taking up 3 channels. So a typical 512 universe of channels divided by RGB (3) then you get an even 170 (with two channels left). Therefore you would need to divide 3600 by 170 that ends up being about 22 universes.

Thanks a lot!! So, I need to go a litlebit programmig again :)And yes, you are right, I made a calculation error. It will make things less difficult!

I see that actually, there is already a Teensy 3.6. Is the firmware ready for Teensy 3.6, or should I stick to Teensy 3.2 for better compatibility?
And which network-module should I choose? I've been reading about the WIZ820io (WS5200) or the ENC28J60 . It's not everywhere clear
Many thanks!

Thanks a lot!! So, I need to go a litlebit programmig again :)And yes, you are right, I made a calculation error. It will make things less difficult!

I see that actually, there is already a Teensy 3.6. Is the firmware ready for Teensy 3.6, or should I stick to Teensy 3.2 for better compatibility?
And which network-module should I choose? I've been reading about the WIZ820io (WS5200) or the ENC28J60 . It's not everywhere clear
Many thanks!

The Wiz820io is the one that will work the best.

Thanks to @mortonkopf and all who have contributed to this thread and the Glediator pursuit.

I've been tweaking with my setup and trying new things lately and I am working on this now. It took some trial and error, but I managed to get this working to some degree. I was struggling for days trying to figure out how to specify which pin on my Teensy 3.2 to use for output. I eventually got adventurous and started snooping for the signal and found it on pin 2. I have an OctoWS2811, but it is not currently in use on this test run.

Now that I have it outputting patterns, I am not able to get it to send down the line to the next LED strip and so on. I have it configured now as follows in attempts to use 4 strips of 150 (WS2813) LEDs in series.

My previous setup I would have been sending signal down all 8 channels(or 16 channels in rev 2.0), but I am trying new things now since I got no help on my other setup. here is the only part of the code I changed for my purposes.

Code:
const int ledsPerStrip = 150;
const int NUM_LEDS = 600;

Here you can see the first reel is lit up and working but the other 450 LEDs are dark. What the hell am I missing here?

20191102_225641.jpg

[edit]As you can see from the photo it might be from the voltage drop on the LEDs once they are powered. This 5V / 15A brick seems to be going out of spec now. Could that do it, or should I check other possibilities? I tried re-injecting that same 5V power supply into the other end but I don't think that is helping the situation.

OK more to report on my question and a funny fact that ties in to my original project.

They must have made this Octo/Teensy mostly ID10T proof, and apparently I was over-complicating things from the early stages of this trial. I found out again via more trial and error that the other ports on the Teensy that correspond with the OctoWS2811 outputs were active without a need to specify pinouts, so I mounted my Teensy back into my old projects controller and holy shnike it just works LOL.

I set NUM_LEDs to the correct number, in my case one Octo x 150 per strip x 8 strips was 1200 and voila, all 8 Octo "ports" were sending signal to all 150 LEDs on all 8 strips. If I changed the output to say 1050 that 8th port would go dead or 900 the 7th and 8th were dead, etc.. Simple, and I was certainly over-complicating this, but man am I glad I got it figured out on my own. I hope my trial and error for all to see helps someone else in my situation.
20191103_004540.jpg

Well....progress is good, but I am still having issues with the way things are hard wired here. The closest I can get to the way things are configured in the software is HS-TL Horizontal Snake - Top Left, but this isn't true at all in my case. All of these strips start on the left and none start on the right, there is no snake in this instance, just 16 strips of 150 and no zig zag. Why should I have to run data to both sides? My original issue of the 2 Teensy boards not syncing is back too so I am going to take this to an all new thread and hopefully this time I can get some help there. For some reason my queries for help on this forum go mostly ignored for the past year I have been working on this project and it is morphing. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back